• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:06 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Festival Razorback IPA Kit

Started by benji, January 27, 2014, 07:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorbikeman

Sorry to drag up an old thread but have a question regarding this kit..
My brother got this kit .. 

I was thinking of adding  re hydrated Notty yeast to this instead of the kit yeast in the hope it will finish primary at bit quicker than the OP result.. 

Is this advisable?

Parky

October 11, 2016, 02:40:45 PM #31 Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:02:13 PM by Parky
In my experience it's not always a good thing to have a quicker ferment, as this can produce some off flavours which ultimately take more time conditioning to clean up.

Here are some ideas you might try to create a clean ferment, and reduce that conditioning time -

- It all depends on taste, but my approach would be to use a 'cleaner' yeast like Safale US05 for this kit, as it will allow the hops shine through.
- The OG of this kit is 1.050 according to the OP, so a fairly substantial beer. I would rehydrate and pitch 2 packets of yeast if you're brewing to 23 litres. Pitching the correct amount of yeast is important in limiting off flavours. (You can use the pitch rate calculator on the Brewer's Friend website here to determine the yeast required in a any given batch).
- Aerate your wort well before pitching the yeast. This can be achieved at a basic level by agitating the wort with a paddle or slotted spoon for a few minutes. Another method is to seal the FV when it's half full and shake it well (and yes, seal any holes in the top too  ;))
- Keep the FV in as cool as place as you can. Always a challenge, but try to keep the FV as cool as possible over the first 2-3 days, again, this will help limiting any off flavours.
- Use finings at the end of fermentation to clear out as much trub and hop matter as possible - can save time waiting for this to clear in the bottle later.

Hope that helps, happy brewing!

SprocketFuel

October 31, 2016, 04:38:11 PM #32 Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:59:42 PM by Stecleary84
Question for those that have brewed this kit.  I brewed this Saturday evening,  it's sitting at 21° but no signs of life. 
Is this just a slow starter or is something wrong?

Drum

Quote from: Stecleary84 on October 31, 2016, 04:38:11 PM
Question for those that have brewed this kit.  I brewed this Saturday evening,  it's sitting at 21° but no signs of life. 
Is this just a slow starter or is something wrong?

Was it an old kit? might be the yeast is past it's best, or it might just be a slow starter. give it another 24 hours and throw in a pack of us05 if theres still no activity

SprocketFuel

Quote from: Drum on October 31, 2016, 08:20:56 PM

Was it an old kit? might be the yeast is past it's best, or it might just be a slow starter. give it another 24 hours and throw in a pack of us05 if theres still no activity

I never checked the dates to be hones, I picked it up Saturday from The Mottly Brew. I'm probably just being impatient. 

Leann ull

Packet should have a date on it.
Take a pic of the top of liquid and post it then push lid hard down so that it's fully sealed squeezing top of bucket so you know you have no leaks

SprocketFuel

November 01, 2016, 12:47:53 PM #36 Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:02:57 PM by Stecleary84
Got home from work this morning and checked this again.  In the 14hrs I was out of the house this went from not a single bubble to a nice head on top. 
Guess it was just a slow starter.  The kit says to hop after 5 days,  I think I'll wait an extra day or two now before hopping. 

mac2k

This is my first kit.  Started at 03/11 with a OG of 1.050... so far so good.   ;D
I did a good bit of reading on the net before starting it.  Everything I have read indicates that this brew takes more time in the FV than the instructions suggest can be up to 3 weeks at 20C. Due to this, I will add the hop pellets when its very close to or at the suggest FG of 1.004.  I plan on leaving them in for 4 - 5 days and then transferring into another FV to clear for a few days before batch priming with the supplied 300g of priming sugar.

A quick newbie question on batch priming.
Is it ok to just dissolve the priming sugar and then add to the mix when it is in the 2nd FV.  I'm guessing that there may be a bit of crud / yeast in the bottom and if I do this I will stir everything up??  I've read that the brew should be transferred again, then primed and bottled.  I don't want to be going OTT, but do want a nice clean IPA :)

DEMPSEY

Try avoid too many transfers. When the beer is finished fermenting coach cool it then transfer to bottling bucket with the sugars already melted in that bucket
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Qs

Quote from: mac2k on November 08, 2016, 12:40:35 PM
This is my first kit.  Started at 03/11 with a OG of 1.050... so far so good.   ;D
I did a good bit of reading on the net before starting it.  Everything I have read indicates that this brew takes more time in the FV than the instructions suggest can be up to 3 weeks at 20C. Due to this, I will add the hop pellets when its very close to or at the suggest FG of 1.004.  I plan on leaving them in for 4 - 5 days and then transferring into another FV to clear for a few days before batch priming with the supplied 300g of priming sugar.

A quick newbie question on batch priming.
Is it ok to just dissolve the priming sugar and then add to the mix when it is in the 2nd FV.  I'm guessing that there may be a bit of crud / yeast in the bottom and if I do this I will stir everything up??  I've read that the brew should be transferred again, then primed and bottled.  I don't want to be going OTT, but do want a nice clean IPA :)

You need to get it off the trub before you add priming sugar. If you haven't moved it to secondary yet don't bother. Just wait till bottling, add the sugary water to the bottling bucket and move your beer in on top of that. That should mix it up for you to avoid stirring. You want as little splashing and transferring as possible after fermentation to avoid oxygen diminishing your beers flavour.

mac2k

Quote from: Qs on November 08, 2016, 01:56:37 PM
You need to get it off the trub before you add priming sugar. If you haven't moved it to secondary yet don't bother. Just wait till bottling, add the sugary water to the bottling bucket and move your beer in on top of that. That should mix it up for you to avoid stirring. You want as little splashing and transferring as possible after fermentation to avoid oxygen diminishing your beers flavour.

Sounds like a plan.  From what I have read the hop pellets add a lot to the sediment.  I think I will add the hop pellets in a small bag so that most of the debris is removed before going into the secondary with the priming sugar/water mix.  Hopefully I can be careful with the transfer and avoid too much sediment / cloudiness in the bottles.

mac2k

Quote from: DEMPSEY on November 08, 2016, 01:06:55 PM
Try avoid too many transfers. When the beer is finished fermenting coach cool it then transfer to bottling bucket with the sugars already melted in that bucket

will do...  What is coach cooling?

SprocketFuel

November 08, 2016, 04:14:27 PM #42 Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:00:05 PM by Stecleary84
Quote from: mac2k on November 08, 2016, 03:07:38 PM
Sounds like a plan.  From what I have read the hop pellets add a lot to the sediment.  I think I will add the hop pellets in a small bag so that most of the debris is removed before going into the secondary with the priming sugar/water mix.

Mine came with a bag, added the pellets into the FV yesterday at 1012, hoping it will be at 1008 for Friday and will bottle then

DEMPSEY

Quote from: mac2k on November 08, 2016, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on November 08, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

will do...  What is coach cooling?
Ha haa crash cool and no that does not mean you hop on to the coach and watch telly with a beer in hand :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

mac2k

ahhh... ok ;D  I know what crash cooling is.  ;D