• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:01 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Festival Razorback IPA Kit

Started by benji, January 27, 2014, 07:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SprocketFuel

Out of interest does anybody know what hops come with this kit?

SprocketFuel

Went to bottle this today but noticed I never bought a capper.
Very happy with how this is turning out.  SG 1048 at at 1007 today,  if my thinking is right that's just shy of 5.7%

mac2k

November 14, 2016, 02:32:16 PM #47 Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:12:28 PM by mac2k
Hopefully it's all bottled up and clearing well for you Ste.

Mine had a SG od 1012 on Friday evening.  Very litle activity in the Airlock on Saturday.  I added the Hops on Sunday and will bottle this Thursday...  Hopefully the FG will be around 1008 ish.

mac2k

SG this morning was 1010 so off to the Garage for a cold crash.  Will Bottle it on Thursday evening.

Dunkel

Quote from: Stecleary84 on November 10, 2016, 10:59:09 PM
Out of interest does anybody know what hops come with this kit?

Hops are Simcoe, Centennial and Summit.

mac2k

The curiosity was killing me, so I put one of these into the fridge last Wednesday 30th after 13 days in the bottle at room temp. 
Nice carbonation, but I would like a little more. really pleasant on the nose.  Light hops.  Excellent 1cm head on the beer after the pour.  Head retention was excellent, but to be fair, the IPA was in the glass for less than 20 minutes. ;D
Have to say I was surprised at the quality.  Not too hoppy, nice mouth feel.  Decent bitterness but no lingering off flavors.  Was looking for some citrus after the bitterness, but never really got this.  I'm hoping this is a product of the early opening.  Everything I have read about this kit, is it gets better with age, so I am looking forward to another in about a week or so.  It's been in At Room Temp for 3 weeks now, so will put it in the garage towards the end of the week.

So far so good.

LordEoin

If you decide to drink them all early, do yourself a favor and keep a few bottles back and have one at the 2,3,4,etc month marks.
You should get a good idea of how it all settles down and know the best conditioning time for the next one.
At the 2-3 month mark i usually kick myself for drinking them all early  ;D

mac2k

I can't imagine a good beer lasting that long in the house with me around.  I'm a perpetual rewarder.  Anything at all and "I deserve a beer"
I will make some tasting notes as the beer conditions...

A question, how long to store the bottles inside?  I was thinking 2- 3 weeks then off to the garage.  Does this sound about right.  Are the any benefits or drawbacks to having the bottles stored indoors longer?

Thanks,
Kevin

irish_goat

Quote from: mac2k on December 07, 2016, 11:45:25 AMA question, how long to store the bottles inside?  I was thinking 2- 3 weeks then off to the garage.  Does this sound about right.  Are the any benefits or drawbacks to having the bottles stored indoors longer?

2-3 weeks is normally plenty of time inside. Once bottled you only need to give the yeast time to metabolise the priming sugar and  carbonate the beer. After that having the beer at a lower temperature will help it condition and allow the beer to clear up.

mac2k

Quote from: irish_goat on December 07, 2016, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: mac2k on December 07, 2016, 11:45:25 AMA question, how long to store the bottles inside?  I was thinking 2- 3 weeks then off to the garage.  Does this sound about right.  Are the any benefits or drawbacks to having the bottles stored indoors longer?

2-3 weeks is normally plenty of time inside. Once bottled you only need to give the yeast time to metabolise the priming sugar and  carbonate the beer. After that having the beer at a lower temperature will help it condition and allow the beer to clear up.

Super,
The IPA will go out to the Garage tonight.

SprocketFuel

Bottled some of this two weeks ago using coopers bottles.  2 drops in each bottle because I couldn't be bothered breaking them.
Rather disappointingly I opened one just now and no head what so ever.  Very slight carbing.  There's a little sediment in the bottom of the bottle so guessing all the sugar has been eaten up

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk

LordEoin

that's odd. they should be highly carbonated at 2 drops per pint.
what temperature did you store them at?

SprocketFuel

Stored at room temperature.... I was expecting them to be highly carbed too. 

SprocketFuel

The only thing I can think of is probably nothing because I'm sure I've read they are reusable.  The bottles and caps had been used before, the caps were tight on the bottles. 

LordEoin

try chuck them in the hot press or bedroom or whatever the warmest room is for another week.