• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:12 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Individual additives for wine kit

Started by onemanorthree, December 05, 2019, 02:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemanorthree

I got a wine kit delivered but it arrived open and the Kieselsol, Chitosan and Stabliser had fallen out.
Company who I bought it from were sound enough to send another kit. So now I have two kits
but only one set of Kieselsol, Chitosan and Stabliser. Can I buy those separately anywhere? (I'm in Dublin)
or can I use 1/2 of each sachet in each 4.5ltrs of wine juice?

Water_Wolf

Kieselsol and Chitosan are for speeding up the clearing of the wine. If you're patient and leave the wine in a carboy for longer, it should clear up itself. 'Wine Stabiliser' is probably Potassium Sorbate which is used to reduce the likelihood of refermentation if you are sweetening the wine afterwards. I've no idea how much is in one of your sachets, but if you are careful to remove the wine from all the sediment (again requiring it to be left a bit longer) then you'd probably get away with just splitting it between the two batches (or not adding it at all!).

Clearing agents and Potassium Sorbate are all cheaply available on home brew websites.

onemanorthree

Thanks for that, good info. Ive seen these additives on homebrew sites, but the postage is
something I dont want to pay for so, as it's more expensive than the agents. I can also order
when I next brew, but was hoping to start both now.

Another option, I have a 10lts fermenter, can I just make 10ltrs and use the one set of additives?
Leaving some extra time a suggested in your post?

Water_Wolf

It shouldn't make any difference to the ingredients whether you split the sachets in two or mix the kits together. If they are both the same kit then you would save a lot of labour by combining them instead of doing everything twice.

onemanorthree

My 5ltr carboy looks cool, my 10ltr one is not  :)

Thanks for the input.