• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 05:23:21 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lemon Gin

Started by LordEoin, May 17, 2014, 08:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I suppose this is the best place for it, with all the rest of the fruit drinks.

I found this recipe a while back and it's supposed to make amazingly fantastic lemon gin.
Not for the impatient though, it takes 3 years.

3 lemons
200g sugar
1 liter of gin (use fairly cheap gin like lidl or aldi, not good gin like bombay saph)

Peel the yellow skin off the white pith (use a paring knife or potato peeler).
Pour the gin into a temporary container
Add the sugar and skins to the bottle.
Fill the bottle with gin, you'll probably have about 200ml left over.
Seal the bottle and shake it any time you think of it (the original recipe said wrap it in bubble wrap and let it knock about the boot of your car for 3 years, but that's not going to happen).
After 3 years, all of the skins will have completely dissolved and it's ready to drink.
It will improve with more years.

I used two 700ml bottles of gin, 6 lemons, 400g sugar. And put it all in a 2liter bottle. I'll top it up the next time I have more gin.

Will_D

Sounds a bit like the Italien limocello recipe which uses vodka!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

I'm hoping it turns out like limocello or better :)
You can also make faster versions with the rind and juice, done like sloe gin, bt they're not supposed to be half as nice.

Eoin

Limoncello rocks, that is all.

googoomuck

Lemoncello is delicious, I was best man at a wedding in Amalfi a few years back and bought a bottle to bring home. Got home and realised I hadn't got a present for my step dad so gave him the Lemoncello. It's still in the cupboard at home. Unopened.

googoomuck

Gonna make this by the way!

Eoin

Quote from: googoomuck on May 18, 2014, 03:47:36 PM
Lemoncello is delicious, I was best man at a wedding in Amalfi a few years back and bought a bottle to bring home. Got home and realised I hadn't got a present for my step dad so gave him the Lemoncello. It's still in the cupboard at home. Unopened.

I'd steal it back...