• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 01:50:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

I hate to ask but!!

Started by Oh-crap, May 07, 2015, 12:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh-crap

Wtf is going on here
Pitched 2 pks s-23 rehydrated at 1 am this morning and this is what I have now. It is bubbling away aswell.
I did add yeast nutrient to the boil aswell and amalyes enzyme to primary but I've not seen this before

DEMPSEY

Why did you need the amalyes enzyme. ???
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Oh Crap

May 07, 2015, 12:24:05 PM #2 Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:35:42 PM by Oh Crap
Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 07, 2015, 12:20:52 PM
Why did you need the amalyes enzyme. ???
Using to help bring gravity way down, dry out the beer so to speak. It's both an experiment and trial for this lager to see if I can get a pale fizzy water style beer. And to be brutally honest I was asking myself that this morning.....

To prevent a stuck fermentation and help with chill haze: apparently

Edit:
Enzyme supplementation in brewing is simpler and less expensive than the malting process itself. Brewing enzymes increase starch liquefaction and saccharification, which in turn increase the production of fermentable sugars. The enzymes work to improve filtration, reduce the presence of viscous polysaccharides like glucans, and increase free amino nitrogen production (FAN). They can also increase the production of fermentable glucose during the production of light beer. Ultimately, brewing enzymes induce faster maturation and enhance chill proofing and cold haze.
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

mcgrath

I've had that in lagers, it usually sinks then rises back up when yeast kick off and CO2 gets trapped in it. I presume it has to do with the drop in temp. Not sure if it is time dependant or if it is a result of not cooling the wort sufficiently before removing it from the boiler to the fermentor.
I never used enzymes so I don't think thats it..

Oh Crap

Quote from: mcgrath on May 07, 2015, 02:24:02 PM
I've had that in lagers, it usually sinks then rises back up when yeast kick off and CO2 gets trapped in it. I presume it has to do with the drop in temp. Not sure if it is time dependant or if it is a result of not cooling the wort sufficiently before removing it from the boiler to the fermentor.
I never used enzymes so I don't think thats it..
If bubbling away so it could be held up by co2. Also it wasn't full cooled to temp when transferring, 16c at the time, 12c a couple of hours later so that probably it. Anyway after the brew session disaster last night I'm just going to relax and watch what happens 😊
Beer

johnrm

May 07, 2015, 02:55:26 PM #5 Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:02:16 PM by johnrm
It looks like protein clumping, like cold break that got into the fermenter.

I had a conversation with a lad from Food science UCC.
Apparently Enzymes are used to 'deglutenise' beer.
The gluten clumps and flocs out.

I believe the enzyme was Mutanase or similar.

Oh Crap

Had a quick look in the top
It's clumping alright, cold break more then likely as I had to siphon into fermenter ue to blockage
Fermenting underneath tho. It was amylase enzyme I used to lower fg to around 1.000 ish
Beer

johnrm

Just updated my last post. I was talking crap saying ethanol was stripped out, it's not, it was gluten.

Oh Crap

Quote from: johnrm on May 15, 2015, 10:04:37 PM
Just updated my last post. I was talking crap saying ethanol was stripped out, it's not, it was gluten.
Coeliac friendly beer :) by accident
Beer