• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:27 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Troikan Saison

Started by Garry, August 10, 2014, 10:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

August 10, 2014, 10:35:35 PM Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:34:13 PM by Garry
3 cans of Finlandia Traditional Ale
150g Caramunich II
100g Caraamber
50g Carafa III
100g Wheat
50g Amber malt
1/2 Whirlfloc tablet

Mangrove Jack's M27 Belgian Ale Yeast pitched at 24℃

Brew length = 22l
OG = 1051

I'm going to ferment this at 28℃. Not sure if I'll dry hop it yet? I've got a load of Saaz that needs to be used up?

mr hoppy

Quote from: Garry on August 10, 2014, 10:35:35 PM
Mangrovejacks M27 Belgian Ale Yeast pitched at 24℃

What's that?

Dry hopping with lots of Saaz is a great call for a saison!

Garry

Quote from: mr hoppy on August 10, 2014, 11:55:38 PM
Quote from: Garry on August 10, 2014, 10:35:35 PM
Mangrovejacks M27 Belgian Ale Yeast pitched at 24℃

What's that?

It's Belgian ale yeast from New Zealand! I was trying to get Belle Saison, but it was sold out. The Mangrove Jack's is getting good reviews on the Google.

Quote from: mangrovejacks.com

Belgian Ale Yeast is an exceptional top-fermenting yeast creating highly characterful beers with spicy, fruity and peppery notes ideal for Belgian Saison or farmhouse style beer.

Suited for brewing all Belgian ales, including Quadruples of up to 14% ABV.

Attenuation: Very High

Flocculation: Medium

Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 26-32 degrees C (79-90 degrees F)

Do you want me to save a jar of slurry for you?

LordEoin

August 11, 2014, 11:21:31 AM #3 Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:31:45 AM by LordEoin
HBW will have them in stock eventually. I noticed them on the site the other night but none in stock HERE

Garry

Garry

This one smells....... interesting! I don't know how to describe it? It doesn't smell bad (I don't think).

The krausen is really thick and creamy yeasty looking. Much darker than the usual white bubbles I get. It looks more like the yeast cake you'd have at the bottom of the FV.

Qs

Would that be the carafa III? I've only done one dark beer, a porter, but the yeast cake on that was a lot darker than the cake on any of my pale beers.

Garry

The krausen has pretty much dropped out so I racked to secondary last night. On top of 100g of Saaaaaaaaz  8)

The gravity is down to 1.010. I thought it would go a bit dryer but there may be more left in the yeast yet?

I have to say, even with 6 large marbles in the hop bag, the buoyancy of hops is amazing? Here's a pic of me playing with my balls  :P

LordEoin

You've got big balls. mine are much smaller.

Garry

Can anyone tell me if this is normal. The yeast has been in the fridge for 2.5 weeks. It has separated into 2 layers and the gap between them appears to be increasing? I took the lid off to have a sniff and it smells fine.

BTW, the beer is still in secondary, so nothing to report :(

LordEoin

The top layer is probably fluffier and filled with little co2 bubbles.
I get the same sometimes in test tubes if I've shaken the yeast up a lot before pouring it.

DEMPSEY

Give it a good shake and see if that sorts it out. Might just be co2 trapped under the yeast cake. :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Garry

Cheers fellas. Gave it a shake and then degased it.