• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:36:28 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lme v Dme

Started by rje66, August 21, 2014, 05:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rje66

just a quick question.
when doing kit ipa's is it any better/easier to use either the liquid or the dried
ta
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

LordEoin

August 21, 2014, 06:25:38 PM #1 Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:03:02 PM by LordEoin
LME will provide a bit more freshness and it's easier to dissolve. Just warm the can, empty, fill with boiling water, stir, empty. it'll leave more residual sweetness and colour than DME.
For price, the BH/HBC/GEB light LME wins at €6-6.50, it is all the same thing with different sticker. But it leaves residual sweetness and color. Not good in light/refreshing beers, fine in darker/heavier beers.
HBW's craft range LME seems to be the best value at €7.45 a pouch , but it only comes in light. Ferments out cleaner than the cheaper cans.
HBC have muntons for €7.45 a can and that comes in a range of 'darknesses'. I've no experience with the munton's LME. At those prices I might check it out.
In general coopers, brewpaks and brewferm and muntons LMEs usually range from about €9-13 and what I've read (apart from marketing propaganda) wouldn't push me to spending that much on a can of bloody malt. I suspect the price is artificially inflated by the brandname.

I prefer DME over LME, because DME will ferment out cleaner and (extra)light DME leaves very little extra colour in your beer.
You're looking at around €8 a kilo for muntons from HBW or GEB. HBW have a better selection.
HBC have great prices on their DME have when you bulk buy. As low as €5.20 a kilo if you buy 25kg.
But don't try storing opened bags of DME unless you're sure you can seal them completely afterwards.
It's also more difficult to dissolve if you're not boiling it.
For kits, add to FV dry, add boiling water, and swirl, not stir. Otherwise you'll probably get clumping.
Another good thing about DME is that you can get it in extra light, light, amber or dark. Handy!

1.5 kg of LME works out at about the same as 1.1kg of DME if I remember correctly.

rje66

September 01, 2014, 07:18:01 PM #2 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:39:52 PM by rje66
sorry for delay. thnks for detailed reply.
while im here , another querie,
for the kits are there any better brands to go for , im aiming to do a few ipas or red ale.

when i go on the on line shops I never know which ones to go for....... too much choice ??? ??? ???
ta

or happy to try someones suggestions , hope to dry hop also

Edit. just went through your sticky above Lord Eoin.... :D :D
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

LordEoin

I haven't found a good red ale kit, but there are plenty of IPAs.
Festival Razorback and Craft Range IPA both come with dryhop, add your own for Coopers

Bubbles

Without a doubt, DME will give you a better result. It's a more stable product and less susceptible to staling like its liquid equivalent is. Having done lots of kits and extract brews over the years I'm convinced that it's LME that is responsible for the "homebrew twang" that people talk about. I also found that LME beers take a lot longer to condition into something drinkable.