• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 11:26:59 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

How to make your own BIAB

Started by bionut, October 14, 2013, 05:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

My boiler is 70l, my grain bill is about 13kg dry for a normal gravity beer.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

brenmurph

well a kg grain will weigh another kg when wet... so Eoin has his hands full liftin his brewbag...Id say he has a winch screwed to the ceiling beams :D

serious though even a normal English bitter 40 pint brew will have nearly 10-11 kgs in the bag........so make ur bags strong enough.

Tip from me... test ur grain bag with wet sand ( 2 euros from the local builders shop) if u can swing that around without signs of  tearing or stitch stress ur grain will hold.
hate to hear any of ye had an effed brew day and a big clean up with sticky grain everywhere ;)

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 14, 2013, 09:11:50 PM
Eoin, you need to make less beer!  :o

Hmmm more actually, drinking far too much shop bought recently.
Gonna fix that in a few days, ESB planned and ready to go.
I might even take a few photos and do a writeup for the site. If I can hide the dangerous pull I do......

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

bionut

Well, my keggle is 50 litres, so i won't have 25 kg of grains :)
I would like a 70 l boiler though :D
Cheers!

RichC

I try an DIY everything I can. Love to DIY as much as possibly for my brew setup. However, you won't make better than Eoin Mags Bags. I have 100% faith in mine. It's excellently made and fits kettle perfectly. If I wasn't using one of those I'd probably just go for a circular sheet of voile and gather the open end to lift it. That way there's no seams to give. Mashout temp is pretty hot and I can't imagine cleaning up the mess after bursting the bag!