• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 05, 2024, 10:42:18 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Seabry Sider Press

Started by Will_D, September 23, 2013, 09:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Cuivage is what I mean of course not homebrewing in general.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

Will_D

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 23, 2013, 10:00:37 PM
I have 75 kg of fresh Leixlip apples with probably the same again to come. Will I bring them over?!??!
Shane, See my comments above about rippenning the apples.

You can actually use the "Iodine test" ( what we use in mashing ) to monitor the ripeness.

Initially the unripe apples will stain deep blue, after a few weeks rippening there should be much less blue present as the starch converts to sugars.

Also a drop of juice on the old refract-o-mometer will give a sugar value.

Naturally I was so pre-occupied with thypress I fogot about these two tests Doooh!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

So what to do with all that pulp?

Compost it - definte option

Feed to neighbours pigs and chickens ( I live on an estate so this is no-no)

Make apple wine:

Take 25 Kg of the dry pulp

Add:

9 litres of water.

Add 2 Kg of sugar
Amylase
Wine Yeast and Nutrients

The low amount of sugar and water is just to get the ferment going.

Allow to ferment for a day or two then add another 2 kg of sugar in another 9 litres of water.

Ferment for a few more days then strain and press the pulp.

Check gravity and body - adjust to taste - ferment out.

This particular recipe is theoretical so beware!

BTW: The rest went on the compost heap.

JD

The yield is also affected by the quality of the pomace. From your photos it looks like your pomace is a little chunky. I'd aim for pea sized pieces or smaller.

Also, it might help if there was some channels make though out the cake to allow the juice reach the sides of the container. Maybe you could cut some circles of 25mm plywood, cut 5mm deep tracks in both sides 25mm apart. Coat each with a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish. Place four or five of these at various levels thought the cake and try another pressing. I bet you'll see a significant increase in yield.

I'd be aiming to get a 50% yield at least, i.e. 1 litre juice per 2 kgs of apples. Last time I worked a press (homemade rack and cheese type), that was the level of yield achieved. I used a 20ton bottle jack.

/J

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

Truly impressive press Will.
IBD member

Will_D

Quote from: JD on September 26, 2013, 10:36:29 AM
The yield is also affected by the quality of the pomace. From your photos it looks like your pomace is a little chunky. I'd aim for pea sized pieces or smaller.

Also, it might help if there was some channels make though out the cake to allow the juice reach the sides of the container. Maybe you could cut some circles of 25mm plywood, cut 5mm deep tracks in both sides 25mm apart. Coat each with a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish. Place four or five of these at various levels thought the cake and try another pressing. I bet you'll see a significant increase in yield.

I'd be aiming to get a 50% yield at least, i.e. 1 litre juice per 2 kgs of apples. Last time I worked a press (homemade rack and cheese type), that was the level of yield achieved. I used a 20ton bottle jack.

/J
Agree with the above. When I dug out the pressed pulp it was pretty uniformally dry.

I know that sometimes people add some water to a dry pomace to help extraction.

Re the size - this is what the scratter makes. Don't thing I can do much else ?

Will_D

So what else can you do with a press like this?

Hmm: A few birthdays ago my grandson gave me one of those "Eco Log Presses" that turn old newspaers into fire-logs.

Why not a quick mod from hand pressing to hydraulics:

Result: Easy Peasy Squissy old newspapers!

Will_D

Quote from: Il Tubo on October 16, 2013, 08:15:43 PM
Will, what sort of extraction rate are you up to? We're going to have some more apples fairly soon :)
With hard/dry apples its not very high! Had more success recently with a week long ferment on the pulp.

There are some numbers in my posts - Its too late now - but will try to dig out a summary in morning