• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:55:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"Award Winning" Coconut Porter

Started by biertourist, December 07, 2013, 10:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiscinlan

Quote from: biertourist on November 07, 2014, 09:58:18 PM

-On the increased OG using certain coconuts.  Some dessicated coconut includes added sugar and some includes added sulfites so that it stores better.  You want to avoid both of these things, which is difficult.

Which coconut did you get that was unsweetened and unsulfered?  I've had a look around but can't find any that specifically state that on the packet?

Gugs44

Seen coconuts in aldi today, a grater and you couldn't get it purer

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Gugs44 on November 09, 2014, 08:04:55 PM
Seen coconuts in aldi today, a grater and you couldn't get it purer

Think of me poor skinned knuckles on the grater sure!

biertourist

Quote from: cruiscinlan on November 09, 2014, 07:38:34 PM
Quote from: biertourist on November 07, 2014, 09:58:18 PM

-On the increased OG using certain coconuts.  Some dessicated coconut includes added sugar and some includes added sulfites so that it stores better.  You want to avoid both of these things, which is difficult.

Which coconut did you get that was unsweetened and unsulfered?  I've had a look around but can't find any that specifically state that on the packet?

Whole Foods, I'm afraid. (US only)  It's $3/ lb so it cost me $10 just for the coconut for a 10 gallon batch.

Adam

ferg

Lidl, Shamrock and Natco brands have all given me more than acceptable coconut flavour that in no way affected the beer except for that FG jump.. the first few bottles did taste too sweet but that's cause they were too young.. it significantly mellowed later on.

mcgrath

Quote from: mr hoppy on February 01, 2014, 02:43:25 AM
BTW did you try out the U Fleku Tmavy Lezhak recipe? I've a fridge again (yay!) so I'll be doing one up as soon as I get a chance.

Hi, have you a link for the recipe? thanks..

mr hoppy

I didn't follow it 100% but it still turned out great. Lovely beer.

http://old.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/publications/the-new-brewer/online-extras/show?title=style-spotlight-bohemian-dunkel

There's a write up of a brewery visit as well. Weird thing is I only came across it because one of the brewers at Meantime in London linked it in a comment on Martin Cornell's Zythophile blog.

biertourist

I brewed another 10 gallons of this, this time trying to tweak which roast malts I used and the original recipe posted on pg1 here is still the best except the late citra addition does add something.  My original grist is still the best and the use of an American Ale strain turned out far better than when I switched to an English Strain, too. (Something about this recipe made the English esters stand out as nail polish remover-like -no fermentation or temp or nutrition issues, just the English Esters + Coconut is a weird combo that I didnt like.)

I've tried tweaking about everything that can be tweaked and the original recipe, but with the small late hop citra addition is now what I'll use for this beer every time.  I'm convinced that this beer can not be improved upon. Done!

Adam

Will_D

Hi Adam,

In your original post the recipe states 1.5 lbs of coconut but in the text you state that .5 kgs will barely fit into the cornie.

Which is correct?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Bart

QuoteAdd the toasted coconut in a muslin bag into either the secondary or directly in the keg but BEWARE because 0.5 lbs will JUST BARELY fit into a corney keg lid and almost won't fit back out again through the lid.

1.5 lbs into secondary (and then bottle)
or
0.5 lbs into keg (if kegging)

that's how I take it.

biertourist

Quote from: Will_D on December 09, 2014, 11:10:02 AM
Hi Adam,

In your original post the recipe states 1.5 lbs of coconut but in the text you state that .5 kgs will barely fit into the cornie.

Which is correct?

Great question; I'll edit.

-I only add coconut in the keg and 1 lb / 0.5 kg is all that will fit and reliably come back out.  My original plan was to use 1.5 lbs but 1.5 lbs just wouldn't fit into the corney keg opening.

If you add the coconut at room temp (say 15-20C) then 5 days seems about right on the coconut; if at 5-10C I wait 8-9 days on the coconut.

Adam

RedWino

Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll try this one out

What's your mashing temperature?

Shanna

Tried a variation of this recipe a few weeks ago. Dry hopped it with 750 gr of roasted coconut (approximately for 12minutes) for six days. Force carbed for 10 minutes, then left @8C for three days on Co2. Tried last night on Nitro and first impressions were awful as all I could smell & taste was coconut. Had an awful few minutes thinking what would I do with 18+ litres of coconut porter. Thankfully the smell subsided to be replaced by a much subtler arroma & flavour. Had two pints of it last night & was really nice. Glad I tried it & would recommend it. Might a bit of extra black malt to offset the sweetness of the coconut & the high fg of 1.020 I got.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Or, not as much cocunut? :) I was going to do this one next, but I'm thinking of the nogne porter instead. That said, this is very tempting...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter