• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lager Fermentation

Started by Qs, July 29, 2015, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qs

After getting a proper temp controlled fermentation chamber I've decided I want to do a lager. Been reading around about different fermentation methods used by people. I like the sound of some of the quicker methods so I can free up the chamber again quicker but I also don't want to run before I can walk with lagers. Anyone got experience with these quick methods or any advice in general beyond the standard for lager fermentation?

Simon_

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/
This works for me in my brief lager experience. That article articulates itself well

Qs

That was the one I was planning on using, it seems quick, I've heard a lot of people have had success with it and he has it mapped out in detail.

Good to hear someone here saying it works too.

Leann ull

Post how you get on haven't seen that one, I've tried a few techniques and settled on the Pat. Pending Bren Murph method for giving best results, long and slow, long and slow ladies.

Simon_

How's that schedule go CH?

Leann ull

July 30, 2015, 07:58:19 PM #5 Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:48:44 PM by Ciderhead
3 weeks primary diacetyl rest 3 days
4 weeks secondary from 12 down to 2 on a profile
Then Min 4 weeks conditioning

This one is a bit green as its only 2 weeks into conditioning but she is hacking a pint every other night :(

molc

Just a followup on this. I used the quick lager method that Simon posted above and did a schwarzbier with it. We got Gordon Strong to judge it when he was over at just under 3 months and he detected no lagering issues or off flavours. Personally I was getting a little green apple in the aroma for the first one to two months but otherwise it was clear.

I think if Gordon doesn't pick up on an off flavour, we can say the method Def works.

Would be interesting to compare a quick and slow lager at the same age to see if one makes a better beer though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Pheeel

I used the quick lagering method many times (except when I accidentally used Kolsch yeast!) Its worked great everytime. My keezer has three active taps and so the beers get a good maturation in that
Issues with your membership? PM me!

neoanto

I use this quick method also. works well.
Its worth noting that in a more recent post the Brulosopher guy does lengthen the fermentation time by a couple of days compared to his original post.

He doesnt mention why its different, so i dont know if he found issues.

mr hoppy

What lager temps are people using? I see Gordon Strong's new book recommend -1 to 1 but the defrost cycle on my fridge has it cycling between 0.5 and 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leann ull

mr hoppy

Define prolonged. 1 week per 4 sg or something else?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Leann ull

My schedule
10-12 for 3-4 weeks ferment subject to gravity will determine if I go for 4
2 days diacetyl rest at 16
Then over 30 days down to 2
At 2 for min 4 weeks, preferably 10-12.

mr hoppy

Thanks CH. Sorry forall the questions but what temp are you pitching at!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Leann ull

Here to answer!
I ferment my very large Pilsner starters 3-5l  low at same as my ferment temp.
Lots ferment Pilsner starters at 18 :(
Always pitch whatever you are brewing ale or lager within 5 degrees ideally 3. This is to maintain as much yeast health as you can without losing percentages to thermal shock.
Mine are always done as close as I can get.
If my water temp is too high I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours or on the last one I used a beer cooler for the last 10 degrees