• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:55 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

yeast starters

Started by PCBrewer, August 25, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeillC

Gonna try my first starter this week. Was looking at the mrmalty calculator. I'm planning a Baltic Porter fermented with wyeast Oktoberfest blend. It's fermented and then conditioned at 12C. Do I set it for hybrid or lager since it's not actually being lagered.

Beermonger

Definitely. You're using a lager yeast, so pitch as for a lager.
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

NeillC

Quote from: Beermonger on September 23, 2015, 05:02:15 PM
Definitely. You're using a lager yeast, so pitch as for a lager.

I've got 1.6l on the go, going to decant off the wort and add another 2l tomorrow. Calculators are coming out around 400billion cells for 10l of beer!

dcalnan

I'm not sure what the proper numbers are, or where I read it but I've read that over pitching yeast can be bad for beer as well. More experienced people might know better.

NeillC

Quote from: dcalnan on September 24, 2015, 12:48:59 AM
I'm not sure what the proper numbers are, or where I read it but I've read that over pitching yeast can be bad for beer as well. More experienced people might know better.
t

Was worried about this but I figure 2 different calculators are giving me similar figures so must be true. I doubt I'll get as high a cell count as the calcs suggest anyway, emptied some of the dme down the side of the Erlenmeyer so going as smooth as brewing always does for me!

Beermonger

400 billion in 10 litres? I can only get that number from mrmalty by assuming a gravity of 1.114. Is that what you're looking for?

The number of yeast cells depends only on the volume of beer and its OG. The age of your yeast and the starter method determines the number of litres of ~1.038 wort you need to use as a starter.

NeillC

Quote from: Beermonger on September 24, 2015, 02:19:23 AM
400 billion in 10 litres? I can only get that number from mrmalty by assuming a gravity of 1.114. Is that what you're looking for?

The number of yeast cells depends only on the volume of beer and its OG. The age of your yeast and the starter method determines the number of litres of ~1.038 wort you need to use as a starter.

Sorry, rechecked, for 10l of 1.080 it gave a yeast count of 289 billion for lager. I think it was the brewers friend one that was closer to 400 for a high gravity lager. I still thought I'd have to step up the starter to reach even the lower target. (The yeast was manufactured 24/8/15).

I have the 1.6L starter made, just need to decide if I step it further.

Beermonger

It depends on if you shook manually (or not at all) or used a stirplate.

With a stirplate, it looks like 1.6 l should have been enough (first image).

If you were manually shaking it, then you might need to do another step of about 1.8 l (second image)

That's I assuming I have all the parameters right in the calculator (this one http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php but they should all give mostly similar results).

NeillC

Quote from: Beermonger on September 24, 2015, 03:01:13 PM
It depends on if you shook manually (or not at all) or used a stirplate.

With a stirplate, it looks like 1.6 l should have been enough (first image).

If you were manually shaking it, then you might need to do another step of about 1.8 l (second image)

That's I assuming I have all the parameters right in the calculator (this one http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php but they should all give mostly similar results).

Thanks. Similar to what I was getting with the other calculator. I'm manually stirring but if I start doing this more regularly I'll definitely get a stir plate. I'll decant off this evening then add 1.8l of fresh wort.

Beermonger

Just did my first lager recently, and I realized that I really need that 5 l flask I have on order. Will probably get a stirplate too, but there's also a controversial "shake the shit out of it" method that someone linked to recently:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70926

Leann ull

its an interesting technique and I posted it here first but after 55 brews stirplates will be the way I continue as I know they work min 3-4Lt starters best to get your lager out of the blocks quickly

Simon_

You regret posting it now don't you  :)

Beermonger

I remember now it was you, CH. Couldn't find the original post last night.

Yep, stirplates do seem to be reliable. The one thing that caught my interest in the link you posted is how he mentions that stirplate starter don't smell as good as the shaken ones. Hard to know what to make of that, of course.

Simon_

I think the most reasonable suggestion I would take from that guys thesis is to pitch your yeast at high krausen and that letting it go longer or crash cooling your yeast to decant isn't a great idea as it places the yeast into hibernation

Leann ull

I'm only here for a chat and a larf
"Spider in the bath, spider in the bath"