• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 12:34:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

yeast starters

Started by PCBrewer, August 25, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

Doing my first lager in about 2 months. Do you do a 1l, then 4l step when making the starter? Also, do you usually cool and decant before pitching,as a 5L flask is big beast to get in the fridge :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

In theory you can scale X 10
I normally keep it to X 5 with lager yeast
Also important to pitch cold not hot in spite of previous advice around here  :P and try and keep wort and yeast within 5 degrees to avoid thermal shock
I finish at 5l and pour off 4 after its settled some like Helles just don't and you need to pitch the lot, but 5l in a 20 batch is going to have a sig impact on overall beer

dcalnan

I finally seem to have gotten my stirplate to work, after changing the fan and adding a 12v motor controller. Its currently doing its work on a hefeweizen starter, I might need to buy a bigger flask as the two litre can bareyl contain the foam.

dcalnan

I spoke too soon, it's back to causing issues again.

armedcor

I had huge problems with my stir plate until I switched to a stir bar without a pivot ring. For some reason the ring on the bar was just causing it to fly around the flask.

dcalnan

Ah that might be it, I'll get a flat one and try it out. Definitely cheaper than buying a ready made stir plate.