• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

hydrating US-05

Started by Motorbikeman, February 16, 2016, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManseMasher

The instructions say pitch into wort, their website I linked to above says rehydrate.....

Bubbles

Thanks for posting the pic, MM.

neoanto

A handy way for getting the correct water rehydration temperature is to add 75% cold (20C sterile/bottled/RO) water and 25% boiled water.
That will give you about 40C water, iirc you want to rehydrate the yeast in 35-41C water and then let it cool to pitching temps.

LordEoin

the website says rehydrate or sprinkle and wait. they probably just can't fit all that on a packet.
QuoteSprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition.

Notty packets say to rehydrate in 100ml water at 30C - 35C, sit for 15 mins, stir, sit for 5 mins, pitch.

ManseMasher

I must admit I always rehydrate dried yeast, after I sprinkled it into wort and had it stick at 1020. Probably nothing to do with it but that's the only time I've ever had a stuck brew. I boil the water and then sit it in a bowl of cold water until I get it to the right temperature. After rehydrating I make sure that it is at the same temperature as the wort before I pitch it.

LordEoin

i don't think there'll be much difference either way, unless the packet of yeast is already on its last legs. :)

Leann ull

Quote from: ManseMasher on February 18, 2016, 12:00:17 PM
The instructions say pitch into wort, their website I linked to above says rehydrate.....

TY I knew I wasn't losing my shit :)

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on February 18, 2016, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: ManseMasher on February 18, 2016, 12:00:17 PM

TY I knew I wasn't losing my shit :)

Nicely put dude..