• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:45:32 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Temerature accuracy

Started by LASERBOY147, March 13, 2016, 10:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LASERBOY147

Hi . I'm taping my glass mercury standard thermometer to the outside of plastic bucket fv with cardboard to make it easy to take out and check everyday.
Q1/ if it says 20oc is the inside REALLY going to be 3-5oc higher during first 48 or am I likely getting the accurate reading as I've insulated the thermo on the side. ?
Q2/ it's read between 18-20oc the first 72 hrs and it's Safale05 dry but rehydrated will this be perfect or due to fluctuation will it have negative flaws?
Q3/ is Safale05 very good in general (dry) for pale & ipa
I want to brew flawless beer so I'll upgrade the fv later on and use belt and fridge but for...

Leann ull

Optimal way of measuring and controlling temp is having a thermowell in your vessel.
Plastic is a great insulator and strapping your Mercury to it won't reflect accurately what's going on inside the vessel.
A stop gap would be the Lcd strips before you decide to go mad with themowells

molc

Second the thermowell. I used to use a probe strapped to the side of the vessel and there was about a 2-3C difference during active fermentation.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

LordEoin

i strap my stc probe to the side and insulate it with a damp cotton pad and some insulation foam.
LCD is the simplest though

BrewDorg

March 13, 2016, 11:17:07 PM #4 Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:59:56 PM by BrewDorg
First I used to tape a sponge over the probe, then I bluetacked the probe to the side. Neither gave me the control I wanted, so I installed a big thermowell in my fermenter. I haven't seen the temp go above or below 0.2˚C of my target. Would recommend one if possible for you.

neoanto

Nothing stopping you using an STC-100 as a temperature sensor.
Drill a small hole (just big enough to fit the probe) in the top of your FV, santize the probe and put it into the beer.
Then put some vaseline around the opening to prevent the relese of air.

I do it with my DS18b20 leads for the brewpi. Works great.

pob

Or a cheapish ebay s/steel thermowell for the probe using a standard bung size, ~€14

helmet

Quote from: pob on March 14, 2016, 01:15:19 PM
Or a cheapish ebay s/steel thermowell for the probe using a standard bung size, ~€14

Has anyone bought one of these? Will an STC probe fit?

Leann ull

Yep I have loads for glass carboys but use the digital probes which are thicker again

Shanna

Quote from: BrewDorg on March 13, 2016, 11:17:07 PM
First I used to tape a sponge over the probe, then I bluetacked the probe to the side. Neither gave me the control I wanted, so I installed a big thermowell in my fermenter. I haven't seen the temp go above or below 0.2˚C of my target. Would recommend one if possible for you.
Stainless shiny fermenter. What type of container is that?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

BrewDorg

Quote from: Shanna on March 14, 2016, 07:56:26 PM
Quote from: BrewDorg on March 13, 2016, 11:17:07 PM
Stainless shiny fermenter. What type of container is that?

Shanna

It's a Bergland 33L stock pot. I don't bother using an airlock or anything with it, but I felt the thermowell was well worth adding. I did a homebrewing course in November with Ger Costello from Costellos brewing and he said a stainless fermenter is one of the best investments to make and that you don't really need to have an airlock on it, so I went for it.

My next upgrade is this tap which just arrived today: http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/miniballvalvewnewrackingarm

Leann ull

Plastic Glass Stainless is the way to go depending on your budget for sure.
A homebrewing course, how much was that?
Please tell me you educated him from your knowledge gained from the forum :D

BrewDorg

The course was ran in the Thomastown School of Food. It was €90 and ran 2 over Saturdays. The first Saturday, he ran through the process and theory of brewing and we had a beer tasting session with some Irish beers he chose. The second day, we went through a full all-grain brewday for a beer style we decided on the previous week. When I did the course, I was still doing kits so it was a great step into all-grain. I'd highly recommend it if it's run again.

I think I was a bit raw at the time to be throwing out lessons to a pro but next time I surely will ;)

Leann ull

Right next brewday pics I'm charging the NHC  :P, Money for old rope...

DEMPSEY

Quote from: CH on March 15, 2016, 08:04:21 PM
Right next brewday pics I'm charging the NHC  :P, Money for old rope...
+1 they charge €90 when all the knowledge is free right here :o
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us