• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 08:48:35 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Temerature accuracy

Started by LASERBOY147, March 13, 2016, 10:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

I'd lay odd's that the teacher they have would use us as a reference  :P
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

darren996

Quote from: BrewDorg on March 14, 2016, 08:54:13 PM
Quote from: Shanna on March 14, 2016, 07:56:26 PM
Quote from: BrewDorg on March 13, 2016, 11:17:07 PM
First I used to tape a sponge over the probe, then I bluetacked the probe to the side. Neither gave me the control I wanted, so I installed a big thermowell in my fermenter. I haven't seen the temp go above or below 0.2˚C of my target. Would recommend one if possible for you.
Stainless shiny fermenter. What type of container is that?

Shanna

It's a Bergland 33L stock pot. I don't bother using an airlock or anything with it, but I felt the thermowell was well worth adding. I did a homebrewing course in November with Ger Costello from Costellos brewing and he said a stainless fermenter is one of the best investments to make and that you don't really need to have an airlock on it, so I went for it.

My next upgrade is this tap which just arrived today: http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/miniballvalvewnewrackingarm
Put the ss brewtech tap in tonight, works great and rotates easily..very happy with it
Quote from: CH on March 14, 2016, 11:53:37 PM
Plastic Glass Stainless is the way to go depending on your budget for sure.
A homebrewing course, how much was that?
Please tell me you educated him from your knowledge gained from the forum :D

BrewDorg

For a hands on course, including lunch and beer, I think the €90 was well worth it. Like I said though, I was pretty new at the time so found it a lot more useful than I would now.

@darren looking good, I'll get mine in tomorrow!

Leann ull

Have you a ticket for Brewcon? coffee, lunch, beer, goody bag (with stuff in it to match ticket price), 8 hours of as much as you would ever want to know about brewing beer and all for only €50

More seriously though I would encourage folks to also join their local club and go to brew days you can pick up an amazing amount just watching somebody else brew.

BrewDorg

Won't be free that weekend unfortunately, but the events look great. 50 is a bargain!

There's no club in Kilkenny, or even near Kilkenny at the moment. I've been keeping an eye out for the Rebel Brewers meets in case there happens to be one on when I'm home.

Leann ull

Jaysus there must be a few Brewers around Kilkenny!

BrewDorg

You'd think so! I know one other homebrewer up here but I know neither of us have the spare time at the minute to set up a club or run meetings :(

cruiscinlan

Do the rest of ye not run thermowells into your fermentors?  I thought if you were going to the effort of regulating fermentation temperature and running lagging and a heater/STC you might as well put in the thermowell?

Archsnapper

March 16, 2016, 05:14:19 PM #23 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:43:26 AM by Archsnapper
Interesting thread. It started me off on my paranoia about my methods. I have two Inkbird ITC-1000 units which I tape to the outside of my fermentors and put a couple of layers of insulation on top - pretty reliable, really, I think. Anyway, I took the temperature with my glass spirit thermometer and there was at least a degree celsius in the difference, with the Inkbird reading higher by one degree.

Right........ on with the testing. Using the iced water and boiling water techniques I checked the spirit thermometer and a dial thermometer and one of the Inkbirds. (Actually I didn't subject the Inkbird to the boiling water ). Dial and glass were spot on at 0°, the Inkbird was +0.4°. Dial and glass at boiling were 101° and 103° respectively. So,  measuring water which was at 20° with the most reliable (dial), glass was at 20.5° and Inkbird at 21.6°. I attached my second Inkbird to the fermentor that the first was on and they matched.

Both my Inkbird ITC-100s were out by 1.5 degrees celsius at the level where temperature is most important. Sheeesh!

Comments?

darren996

Quote from: cruiscinlan on March 16, 2016, 04:51:16 PM
Do the rest of ye not run thermowells into your fermentors?  I thought if you were going to the effort of regulating fermentation temperature and running lagging and a heater/STC you might as well put in the thermowell?
A thermowell is a great investment when regulating temps. I have noticed less variation in temps with my stc and brew belt

Archsnapper

As a matter of interest those ebay thermowells are 15" long, too long for the plastic bucket fermentors, I think.

pob

Nah, the bung slides down to whatever length you want.

banjobrew

Can the eBay thermowells be used with a grommet instead of a bung? Thinking for a bucket rather than a carboy.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Oh Crap

Quote from: banjobrew on May 19, 2016, 10:33:23 PM
Can the eBay thermowells be used with a grommet instead of a bung? Thinking for a bucket rather than a carboy.
Yep they can
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Leann ull

Make sure you have diameter of both before drilling lid! I have 4 or 5 from China and they aren't always as published in the case of the diameter