• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:39 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

WLP023

Started by CC, February 18, 2016, 05:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

so i'm brewing with this for the first time and looking for a bit of hard experience....

my liquid vial is 65% viable so my plan was to do a 3l starter to overbuid to 240b cells.
i was going to split this in order to  keep and store half (about 120b cells) for later use.
i was then going to do a 1l starter with the other 120b cells to give a pitchable 220b cells.
a little bit of research on american forums leaves me worried that this pitching rate in 23l  at 1.055 may cause blow off at the recomended 20c....

any informed opinions??

dcalnan

why not just build the one starter to 360b cells? it would be much easier. using homebrew dad's yeast starter, just a 2.5L starter of 1.037 with 252g of dme is enough to provide 230b cells for the beer and 120b to keep

CC

i don't have a stir plate so i won't build as efficiently as that.
i'm also limited as i only have 1 suitable flask which won't take the 4l starter i would need to get to those levels without a stir plate...
so a 2 phase build is the best i can do presently

Parky

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but wondering how you got on with your yeast build CC, any update?

-------------------------------------

Here's my own most recent experience -

I used the WLP023 at the weekend in an English Bitter, and I've found it's been a great performer for any English style ale or stout.

I made a pitchable 100b cells, with a 100b cell overbuild (to keep aside for another week's endeavour). I pitched into 10L of wort in a 10L FV @ 1.052 @ 18oC, and yes, it was like an Ibiza foam party in there!  :) WLP023 does like to create a big thick foamy krausen in my experience, but that's not a bad thing, as it keeps air away from the wort, and moves out hop resins and other undesirables. It also means it's easy to top crop as well (if that's your thing!).

If you're worried about blow off here are some options -

1. Brew a smaller quantity in the same FV, giving you additional headspace.
2. Let it blow - instead of relying on an airlock, just crack open the lid of the FV and let the foam flow (you'll have to put the FV in a bin bag or other suitable 'drip tray', which can be discarded later when things calm down).

In regard to splitting starters, in reality there's no way of knowing exactly how much is in each split (unless you've got your own yeast lab!). Similarly with online pitching calculators, so don't worry about getting an exact cell count, as long as you have a ballpark amount of healthy yeast (for a given OG) it will establish itself quickly, and give you a lovely clean ferment.

I don't have a stir plate or flask, but use 2L or 5L water bottles to create split starters up to 5L in total, and haven't had any issues. For the batch I brewed at the weekend I used a 2L starter split between two 2L bottles (giving 1L headspace in each). One I decanted and pitched into the wort, the other I decanted and kept in a Kilner jar in the fridge for later, simples!

mr hoppy

I always liked WLP 023 but thought it could have flocculated better. Thinking of trying this with Mangrove Jack's Burton Union yeast which is (supposed to be) the same yeast as WLP023:

http://byo.com/stories/item/351-build-a-burton-union-system-projects