• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:01:36 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lager Fermentation

Started by Qs, July 29, 2015, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Quote from: molc on May 11, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
Well here's the challenge then. Take one of those gold medal lagers and brew it both ways. It would be a great experiment and my gut says the results could be an eye opener.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Garcia do you fancy a "lager off" to the same recipe? you'll have to give me a 4 month head start tho

garciaBernal

Quote from: CH on May 11, 2016, 09:45:21 PM
Quote from: molc on May 11, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
Well here's the challenge then. Take one of those gold medal lagers and brew it both ways. It would be a great experiment and my gut says the results could be an eye opener.

Garcia do you fancy a "lager off" to the same recipe? you'll have to give me a 4 month head start tho

You crack away there and let me know when there's a month left!
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

mr hoppy

Figured out what I was doing wrong and now have my brew lagering at 0oC.

So, I have a question. Everything I read says that beer lagers faster at lower temperatures.

Anyone have any thoughts on how much faster?

molc

There was a bit in Gordon strongs most recent book. I think the difference between 1 and 4C can add as much as 3 months to conditioning time? Need to check again though as its a fuzzy recollection.

I can't get the fridge down lower than about 4C. Damn energy efficient modern appliances.

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

mr hoppy

I saw that but it didn't seem very specific.

In fact the only place I've looked that was specific about the effect of temperature on lagering durations was How to Brew - which got it the wrong way round. ???

Motorbikeman

Quote from: mr hoppy on May 12, 2016, 09:01:22 PM

So, I have a question. Everything I read says that beer lagers faster at lower temperatures.

Would it not turn a bit icy at that temp?   

Dr Jacoby

I lager at -2 most of the time without any issues
Every little helps

mr hoppy

Quote from: Motorbikeman on May 12, 2016, 09:46:29 PM
Would it not turn a bit icy at that temp?   

Freezing temperature of alcohol is lower than water. The more alcohol the lower you can lager.

http://maltingandbrewing.com/freezing-point-of-beer.html

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: mr hoppy on May 12, 2016, 09:01:22 PM

It's not as simple as just looking at temp. If your yeast are still active,  they will clean up the beer faster at higher temps. But other reactions happen faster at lower temps that help to clean up other aspects of the beer. The Germans try to keep the yeast active at very low temps to get the best of both worlds. But there are other approaches. As with most things in brewing, there's a balance to be struck and more than one way to achieve it.
Every little helps

mr hoppy

Any suggestons on where I might get more insights...

molc

Quote from: mr hoppy on May 12, 2016, 10:15:57 PM
Any suggestons on where I might get more insights...
http://www.amazon.com/New-Brewing-Lager-Beer-Comprehensive/dp/0937381829

That is one of the advanced reads recommended by the BJCP when going for national and master ranks, so should be a good source of info. It's pretty technical.

mr hoppy

Great book and a go to reference, and not just for lagers, but I'm a not sure I'm totally confident interpreting what it says about the effect of temperature on lagering. 2 paragraphs over 300 pages that say that if you lager low you have to lager shorter. It talks about lagering for 3-7 days per 2 points plato for low / mid strength beers and 7-12 days for stronger beers. So if I do a 1048 SG / 12o beer does that mean I'm lagering it for 18 days?

molc

18 days at 1C would sound about right to me. Never hurts to go longer but it should be ready in that time.

Let the lager experts speak up and cite sources on this one. I only know what I've read and don't have much experience on these.

oblivious

Below is my temp fermentation profile, work well for me and has a two week turn around with optional extra lagering