• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 01:03:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone use Mangrove jacks workhorse yeast for an IPA?

Started by Fal, August 15, 2016, 09:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fal

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using this with an IPA? Ive used it before twice in stouts and had good results but the fermentation is full on and I'm s little worried it'll blow off hop flavours. But then that might help with the dry hopping aroma?
...used to be NewBier

Drum

I used it in a couple of ipa's last winter but fermented low and slow at around 13 Celsius. They turned out well from what I remember. Took ages to drop clear tho and any yeast that made it into the glass tasted really bad. Might be a completely different beast at the top end of its temp range tho, I remember it being a bit sluggish but you said it was 'full on' Im assuming that was at 18 to 20 ish given current temps. If you can keep the temp down it should be ok but a big dry hop is always nice anyway.

Fal

Yeah I fermented at 18 degrees and it took off for 4 days then stopped. Thanks why I'm worried it'd effect hop flavor
...used to be NewBier

molc

Everytime I think about using Mangrove Jacks, I get caught on the fact they're low cell count so you normally need 2 packs. At that point, it's about the same as liquid yeast in cost, so I don't bother. :/
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

August 16, 2016, 11:13:40 AM #4 Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:58:59 AM by Bubbles
Quote from: molc on August 16, 2016, 08:21:09 AM
Everytime I think about using Mangrove Jacks, I get caught on the fact they're low cell count so you normally need 2 packs. At that point, it's about the same as liquid yeast in cost, so I don't bother. :/

Surprised to hear this. Just checked on the HBC and they're a similar price to Danstar, Fermentis etc. And as you correctly point out, you can get a liquid culture for the same price, which (imo) is always superior. So why would anyone bother with Mangrove Jack's yeast?? Are they that good?

molc

Quote from: Bubbles on August 16, 2016, 11:13:40 AM
Quote from: molc on August 16, 2016, 08:21:09 AM

Surprised to hear this. Just checked on the HBC and they're a similar price to Danstar, Fermentis etc. And as you correctly point, you can get a liquid culture for the same price, which (imo) is always superior. So why would anyone bother with Mangrove Jack's yeast?? Are they that good?

I just checked to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. From the spec sheet, MJ has >5 x 10^9 cells per gram. For a 10g packet, that works out at ~50B cells, which is half a liquid vial, when it is at full health.

Mangrove Jacks, per pack: 3.45, so for 2 packs: €6.90
White Labs Liquid: €7.95

So, it is slightly cheaper, but you need to build up both for an average 150B-200B cell count for ~5% beer, which quite a few of us make. They're more stable than liquid yeast, but by no means better, so I just can't see the market for them.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

nigel_c

Isn't mangrove jacks yeast designed to be single use as well? As in it doesn't craps out past the first generation.

Drum

Quote from: nigel_c on August 16, 2016, 02:39:26 PM
Isn't mangrove jacks yeast designed to be single use as well? As in it doesn't craps out past the first generation.

I'd call marketing BS on that one. I've used a single pack of M07 british ale in 6 successive batches without any problems. If anything the flocculation got better but that is probably because I harvest yeast from the bottom of the FV and I am selecting the more flocculant cells which are more likely to produce similar. 

Pheeel

All the dry yeast manufacturers say they shouldn't be used more than once but I agree with Drum :)
Issues with your membership? PM me!

irish_goat

Quote from: Pheeel on August 17, 2016, 01:13:04 PM
All the dry yeast manufacturers say they shouldn't be used more than once but I agree with Drum :)

Same as bottled water manufacturers telling you not to refill their bottles maybe?  :P