• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast strains for high gravity wort (RIS/Stock Ales)

Started by cruiscinlan, August 29, 2016, 07:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiscinlan

Going back over the recipes here as well as some on other sites, there's a fair bit of discussion on Belgian yeast strains for high gravity worts. However there's not much on the use of Irish/English strains for styles like barleywines, 120-/ ales, russian imperial stouts etc.

Have any of you gone beyond US-05 when making these styles?

nigel_c

I find Nottingham attenuates slightly higher then O5 for higher gravity beers.
I've done 11% DIPA with a big enough pitch of Nottingham.
Some of the English ale yeasts will do the job as well if you want a bit more flavour from your yeast.

Leann ull

No problem using Irish Ale used several times for high gravity barrel RIS Porters etc, strap it down though :D
Technique, big starter as otherwise it'll drown and stress in all the fermentables, so if you normally do 1L for a 1050 2l for a 1000-1100 etc

cruiscinlan

Quote from: nigel_c on August 29, 2016, 07:37:41 PM
Some of the English ale yeasts will do the job as well if you want a bit more flavour from your yeast.

Any suggestions on an a strain? I don't find the attenuation % or style lists on the White Labs or Wyeast sites much use, as they all seem to say that each yeast or at least very many will do the same job.

Another suggestion I've seen is to make a plain ale or bitter first and then to pitch your high gravity wort on top of that.

nigel_c

Wlp013 will do the job for an English or 004 Irish ale as John has suggested.
A session stout is a great way to get a big RIS going. It's just keeps on going when you rack onto it but you risk over pitching. I've don't his method with big beers but have dumped about 1/2 of the yeast cake. There'll be more then enough healthy yeast in what's left.

Leann ull

Also I don't use yeast after its done a work out on big beers.

oblivious

Gervin dry yeast can be handy to for big English style beers

Bubbles

Quote from: nigel_c on August 29, 2016, 07:37:41 PM
I find Nottingham attenuates slightly higher then O5 for higher gravity beers.
I've done 11% DIPA with a big enough pitch of Nottingham.

+1

Notty is a great choice for high-gravity beers like RIS. Two sachets will provide you with ample cells to do the job, and is relatively hassle-free. Though these days, I prefer to repitch a yeast cake when doing big beers, as I think it gives a cleaner result.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: nigel_c on August 29, 2016, 10:31:04 PM
Wlp013 will do the job for an English or 004 Irish ale as John has suggested.
A session stout is a great way to get a big RIS going. It's just keeps on going when you rack onto it but you risk over pitching. I've don't his method with big beers but have dumped about 1/2 of the yeast cake. There'll be more then enough healthy yeast in what's left.

That's a great suggestion alright.  I didn't think there was such a thing as overpitching with a big beer so I'll look out for that.