• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:42 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mangrove Jacks M20

Started by helmet, September 23, 2016, 08:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmet

Have a pack of this from brewcon.
Has anyone used it? Going to give it a whirl in a Weizenbock soon.
What fermentation temp do you reckon I should be aiming for?

darren996

Yep used it a few times, ferment at 19  or if you like banana go for 21. I do a single stage mash at 66 with this finishes in about 5 days, I prefer it to wb06

helmet

Nice one Darren, thanks for that!

Pheeel

I also got it at brewcon. I made an attempt at a German wheat. I'm not a huge fan of the banana so didn't ferment too high. It was a nice pint. Interestingly after a couple of weeks in my keezer the leg went completely clear. Still tasted good!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Will_D

Nowt like a clear leg as we say in Yorkshire!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Partridge9

Brewing with this tomorrow...

From what Im reading it should be fermentated at 19C to avoid a banana bomb, also low floc levels,  attenuation 75-78, rehydration recommended with filtered water at 25-30C

Im just going to use one pack for 22 litres, estimated gravity is 1046... ish ..

I'll do all that and report back the results.

mick02

Just wondering if anyone that has used this yeast saw a lag time that seems usual with other Mangrove Jack yeast.
NHC Committee member

CH

johnrm

Why not stress the yeast with a low pitch to get the Banana and Clove?

shweeney

Quote from: mick02 on May 27, 2018, 09:51:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone that has used this yeast saw a lag time that seems usual with other Mangrove Jack yeast.

I brewed with M20 last week, it had kicked off within 6 hours (I have noticed the lag with some of their other yeasts).

Partridge9

Quote from: mick02 on May 27, 2018, 09:51:27 AM

Didnt notice a lag time... it didnt provide the usual massive yeast head that other Wheat yeast tend to.
After 4 days I was down to 1018 .. which seems ok

I did 'rehydrate' with 200ml of cooled boiled filtered water at 29C for 30 mins.
My understanding is that if you dont re-hydrate you loose 10-20% of your yeast cells- regardless of the instructions on the packet

I'll measure today... I am expecting 1014-1015 - everyone says it finishes high.. which suggests an attenuation of 65-70 and not the stated 70-75

Partridge9

Unfortunately it measured at 1020 !!

I am going to add more yeast ... I have one pack and two batches ... so i'll use my last packet and hydrate it with 100ml

I'll then split it between both batches - so they get in total 1.5 packs each.

I'll monitor gravity and get back... if it drops a few points, then Yeast cell count / viability was the issue

No harm done yet... I think.. - sure I'll hammer away and post back the results

mac2k

I like to give the wort a gentle swirl or 2 to rouse the yeast, if this happens, Have used this method once or twice to help drop those last few points. 1.020 does seem a little high...

Partridge9

So did a little swirl as well... lets see if we can knock it down to 1015... not very optimistic..

Snuff

Just had a fine result with M20, start out at 1050, three weeks in primary and 1010 with an excellent banana / clove aroma and fine taste. All bottled today and looking forward to opening in a couple of weeks.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -