• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:52:29 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast Starter No Action

Started by helmet, October 14, 2016, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmet

I usually overbuild my starters and keep 500ml in the fridge to kick off my next starter.
I've a Wyeast 1010 starter on the stirplate for the last 48 hours and there is zero activity.
Took the 500ml off a starter made back in July, haven't had any need for it since. 
Is it a lost cause?

Leann ull

Normally only last 3-4 weeks absolute max in a fridge, its dead, surprised you've been getting away with it longer than that tbh, I sling anything older than a couple of weeks, you need to get into slanting.

molc

I regularly build up starters I've kept for 3- 4 months. I usually decant the supernatent and pop it back in the vial, filled to the brim.

However, I usually have activity within 24 hours on the stirplate, with the sample starting to turn a cream colour. Takes normally an extra day for it to finish, but no difference in pitch.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

helmet

Quote from: molc on October 14, 2016, 08:14:19 PM
I regularly build up starters I've kept for 3- 4 months. I usually decant the supernatent and pop it back in the vial, filled to the brim.

However, I usually have activity within 24 hours on the stirplate, with the sample starting to turn a cream colour. Takes normally an extra day for it to finish, but no difference in pitch.
That's been my experience as well. It's never been a problem before this.
Anyway, I've chucked it and have changed the brewday plan, have a 1056 starter on the plate now, so it's a pale ale instead if a wheat for the weekend!

molc

One thing is that its much colder now than in the summer. Maybe the starter is just slow to build as a result?  New starter will confirm/debunk that theory at least.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

helmet

Quote from: molc on October 14, 2016, 08:21:08 PM
One thing is that its much colder now than in the summer. Maybe the starter is just slow to build as a result?  New starter will confirm/debunk that theory at least.
Yeah, I moved the plate into the kitchen after 12 hours of no activity, it's in or around 19° all day, still no joy. I'll let you know how the 1056 goes. Might look into slants some time in the future.

Bubbles

How do you aerate your starters?

helmet

Quote from: Bubbles on October 14, 2016, 08:28:40 PM
How do you aerate your starters?
Shake the life out of the wort in the stockpot, a whole lot if splashing passing through a funnel into the flask and then continuous stirring with a loose tinfoil cap.

Bubbles

Ok fair enough. I've had problems with starters in the past due to lack of aeration..

Leann ull

About 1/2 way down, more than 4 weeks and you expose wort to all sorts of complications.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/yeast-storage-and-maintenance-0

helmet

18 hours later and brewday is saved!

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

helmet

Quote from: DEMPSEY on October 15, 2016, 06:00:48 PM
That the 1056 kicking off.
It is. Coming along nicely. It'll be closer to 24 hours by the time I pitch. Going to have to pitch the whole lot though, no time for the fridge.

Leann ull

Looks ok next time try a smaller step if you have old yeast and then up to 2l as it will put less stress on yeast and you'll avoid classic off flavours from underpitching.

helmet

Quote from: CH on October 15, 2016, 06:24:16 PM
Looks ok next time try a smaller step if you have old yeast and then up to 2l as it will put less stress on yeast and you'll avoid classic off flavours from underpitching.
Sound advice, thanks.