• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:59 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast Starter No Action

Started by helmet, October 14, 2016, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Sorry should have said a wiser brewer than me told me that years ago as I was chucking the old expired vials, with clearly low viability of white labs into 2L and was getting nasty final beers

helmet

Quote from: CH on October 15, 2016, 06:58:38 PM
Sorry should have said a wiser brewer than me told me that years ago as I was chucking the old expired vials, with clearly low viability of white labs into 2L and was getting nasty final beers
When you say a smaller step, 500ml?

delzep

200ml I would do then up to 1l

helmet

Quote from: delzep on October 15, 2016, 07:39:18 PM
200ml I would do then up to 1l
Thanks.

Job done for today anyway!

Leann ull

October 15, 2016, 08:31:38 PM #19 Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:41:52 PM by CH
you can step up to x10 but I have only ever done x5, as Delzep says 500ml would be ideal.

nice set up btw tip, get yourself one of those 40W conservatory heaters at some stage you can pick them up for about €15-20.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALL-MOUNTED-CONSERVATORY-HEATER-1FT-2FT-OR-4FT-TUBULAR-DAMP-ROOM-PORCH-HEATER-/201451748240?var=&hash=item2ee775bb90:m:m9aKaOzjfh57QFL6MVHoBXQ
In mid winter when shed is 2Degrees I have to supplement my 40W in the red neck chamber with a heat belt to get it to 19 but I just suspend the heat belt in the air.
Heat belts aren't great for glass carboys, too much localised heat and instances in the US cracking them apparently.   

https://www.amazon.com/FermWrap-40-Watt-Fermentation-Heater/dp/B0064O92WS,  I have one, they are faffy to strap on.

helmet

Quote from: CH on October 15, 2016, 08:31:38 PM
you can step up to x10 but I have only ever done x5, as Delzep says 500ml would be ideal.

nice set up btw tip, get yourself one of those 40W conservatory heaters at some stage you can pick them up for about €15-20.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALL-MOUNTED-CONSERVATORY-HEATER-1FT-2FT-OR-4FT-TUBULAR-DAMP-ROOM-PORCH-HEATER-/201451748240?var=&hash=item2ee775bb90:m:m9aKaOzjfh57QFL6MVHoBXQ
In mid winter when shed is 2Degrees I have to supplement my 40W in the red neck chamber with a heat belt to get it to 19 but I just suspend the heat belt in the air.
Heat belts aren't great for glass carboys, too much localised heat and instances in the US cracking them apparently.   

https://www.amazon.com/FermWrap-40-Watt-Fermentation-Heater/dp/B0064O92WS,  I have one, they are faffy to strap on.
Cheers, like the look of the heater tube, especially with sterling tanking!

Leann ull

yep all my chambers have one.
Just make sure you only use the fridge or the heater as otherwise they fight each other, so depending where ambient is, this time of the year in my shed its only heater.
I am spoilt in that the brewpi on one of my fridges will regulate hot or cold and the fan other wise I just have it working off one or the other.

Any electrical engineers out there advise how you can run 1 item, i.e. fan from either a live fridge or live heater to save installing a second fan?   

molc

With the brewpi, you could just wire the +12 relay signal for both hot and cold to the fan so it turns on when either signal is active?
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

yep thats what I have, was wondering was there a simpler solution without spending money on a brewpi

Slev

Quote from: CH on October 15, 2016, 06:24:16 PM
Looks ok next time try a smaller step if you have old yeast and then up to 2l as it will put less stress on yeast and you'll avoid classic off flavours from underpitching.

What are the classic off flavours?

pob

Quote from: CH on October 15, 2016, 09:01:53 PM
Any electrical engineers out there advise how you can run 1 item, i.e. fan from either a live fridge or live heater to save installing a second fan?

a 90mm 230-240V AC version?

Leann ull

Safer with 12v version Pob lots of condensation liquids
Just bought another 2 off a chinaman last night

Leann ull

October 16, 2016, 12:28:59 PM #27 Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:13:00 PM by CH
Quote from: Slev on October 16, 2016, 02:23:19 AM
Quote from: CH on October 15, 2016, 06:24:16 PM
Looks ok next time try a smaller step if you have old yeast and then up to 2l as it will put less stress on yeast and you'll avoid classic off flavours from underpitching.

What are the classic off flavours?

Search "brothel" it should bring you to the right thread

Leann ull

Just don't get caught by the missus doing it

Leann ull

actually word was brothel
If you think about it my putting a small quantity of yeast in a "rich" food environment its gonna be overwhelmed and stressed

straight off the Wyeast site

A low pitch rate can lead to:

Excess levels of diacetyl
Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
Increase in ester formation
Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
High terminal gravities
Stuck fermentations

Increased risk of infection

High pitch rates can lead to:

Very low ester production
Very fast fermentations
Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)