• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:16 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Danstar London ESB Dry Yeast.

Started by Greg2013, October 26, 2016, 08:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

There was a post on this a while back that i can't find now but anyway the HBS have just started stocking this here. At €3pkt it's not a bad price and certainly one i would use quite a bit if it was any good.Just looking for some feedback from anyone that has used this please,TIA. :D

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/danstar-london-esb-yeast-11g-p-4068.html
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

TheSumOfAllBeers

People got excited thinking that this was a dried version of the fullers strain.

It's not.

Lallemand have said that it is a discontinued strain from a U.K. Brewery.

There are discussions on Jims beer kit about it, but nobody has beer finished with it yet.

It doesn't finish fast or clear fast like other strains

delzep

I read that it's Lallemands  old London Ale yeast that was discontinued years ago

Greg2013

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on October 27, 2016, 11:11:44 AM
People got excited thinking that this was a dried version of the fullers strain.

It's not.

Lallemand have said that it is a discontinued strain from a U.K. Brewery.

There are discussions on Jims beer kit about it, but nobody has beer finished with it yet.

It doesn't finish fast or clear fast like other strains

Yep and i have heard it finishes quite high also.highr than most would like,tbh the whole catch for me was i also thought it was a dried version of the Fullers strain,still might give it a go though down the road. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

DEMPSEY

Sounds like it was put up on the shelf along time ago for a reason,it was shite ;D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

So it is deffo not Fuller's yeast wlp002 as here is a reply to an email sent by a lad on JBK to head brewer of Fuller's asking him,

Hi Tom

No it is not Fullers yeast but it is a good approximation of and makes a good ESB. We would not release Fullers yeast to the dried yeast market so I worked with them visiting their plants in Montreal and Vienna to come up with this yeast. I was very happy to endorse it as the beer was very good

Cheers John Keeling

So it might not actually be their own strain but as close as us dried users are likely to get.
Any reports on how the taste of the beer changes with it instead of s-04?

Cheers. Tom

oblivious

Quote from: DEMPSEY on November 02, 2016, 09:11:15 AM

It can only be better  ;D

Greg2013

Quote from: oblivious on November 02, 2016, 09:39:44 AM

I see a split batch experimntayyy in the near fututre. :o

Bubbles

Quote from: oblivious on November 02, 2016, 09:39:44 AM

Amen to that!  :)

nigel_c

Every time someone mentions s-o4 poor Bubbles get a shiver down his spine.

TheSumOfAllBeers

So does this yeast qualify as a characterful dried English yeast? For a while all you had was s04 and windsor. Notty,wilco and mauribrew were too clean, and I have never tried any mangrove jack uk yeast strains.

If there is a dried yeast that adds something pleasant to session English Ales, then that is a very good thing IMO

Greg2013

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on November 02, 2016, 04:18:21 PM
So does this yeast qualify as a characterful dried English yeast? For a while all you had was s04 and windsor. Notty,wilco and mauribrew were too clean, and I have never tried any mangrove jack uk yeast strains.

If there is a dried yeast that adds something pleasant to session English Ales, then that is a very good thing IMO

With you on that,kinda why i was hoping this one might have a little English 2je ne sais quoi". ;D

DEMPSEY

I suppose as I rethink this the reason for dropping it commercially may just be the reason its good  O0

Tom

I've brewed with it. It finished high (I got a stout down to 1011 by splitting half ESB, half US05). It's a pleasant taste, but it will not drop clear AT ALL. However, done and dusted with no off flavours very quickly (apart from the yeast). Irish Goat had a sample at the weekend, ask him what he thought!

Worth a try at €3 a pop, but not on something you want to dry out. If you mash low with plenty of sugar (invert or otherwise) you could get a decent ESB out of it. After all, many English bitters are 10 - 15% sugar.

phynes1

I brewed a mild with this yeast at the weekend. Anyone used it recently? What were results like?

PH