• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Funktown Vermont yeast - any opinions?

Started by Fal, December 20, 2016, 09:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fal

I have a vial of the funktown Vermont yeast to use over the holidays. Has anyone got any recommendations for a recipie?

I was thinking of just following a basic IPA recipie, maybe with wheat since I have some. Any thoughts? What about conditioning, do you need to condition it or drink it fresh?
...used to be NewBier

BrewDorg

The base strain for this is Conan so anything with tropical, fruity hops will do very well. You could go for a NEIPA or any sort of IPA/APA, but use hops like citra, mosaic, galaxy, nelson sauvin, azacca and use plenty of them!

Fal

Thanks, so need for conditioning it then?
...used to be NewBier

BrewDorg

No experience with Funktown personally so maybe someone else can chime in on that. I see from your other thread that you've used Vermont ale. I'd treat them similarly.

Fal

I suppose It's the "funk" bit I'm not sure about.
...used to be NewBier

BrewDorg

Since it's only Sacc Trois and not Brett, I don't think there's any reason to age it once it hits terminal gravity.

Scott Janish has a good recipe and review here. He seems to have done a 9 day ferment before kegging.

Also, from The Yeast Bay's own directions on their website:

QuoteWe recommend following a similar fermentation scheme as is used for the Vermont Ale, fermenting at 67-69 ºF for 3-4 days, and then raising the temperature to 72 ºF until a stable gravity is reached.

Fal

...used to be NewBier

BrewDorg