• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:18:07 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Help me not burn my beer again!

Started by WaterWolf, November 02, 2016, 11:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryjo

Have you tried using oven cleaner in the bag.You can pick it up in one of the pound/euro stores and keep electrical connection outside the bag taping the bag sealed.Shall leave it spotless.

Sent from my ALE-L21

WaterWolf

January 14, 2017, 07:24:55 PM #31 Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:43:46 AM by WaterWolf
Hello, I thought I should give an update on this.

I finally managed to get some time to do another brew last weekend - pretty much the same recipe again but with the new element. I tried shaking out all the flour from the grains at the start but after 5 mins of shaking it just kept coming. So I concluded it was impossible to get all the flour out.

In the mash I tried to use a new false bottom in the peco boiler - a frying pan splatter screen from Ikea sitting on some glasses. It worked pretty well - the grains were well clear of the element. (If anyone is interested, here is the link, it's a good fit for a bucket: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/cooking-accessories/stabil-splatter-screen-stainless-steel-art-10112530/)

At the end of the mash there was a layer of gloopy flour on the element but that just wiped off. I cleaned out the bucket before doing the boil.

I stirred the boil from the very start until it reached boiling point (which took a long time). This was probably the most paranoid brew day ever! At the end of the boil I anxiously transferred the wort to the fermenter, looking to see if the element had burned. But again, the element was clean, just with a bit gloopy flour on it.

So everything went okay, and if I end up with any off flavours in my beer I can't blame a burnt element! I think I still need to reduce the amount of gloopy flour stuff in the wort though. Next time after the mash, I think I will run the wort through a pillowcase to remove some of the solid lumps.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

darren996

Good to hear it went well but sounds like you put in a hell of a lot of work there.

If you ever upgrade your boiler get one with a concealed element or get a lwd element they won't burn your wort.

cunnol

I use a peco boiler, have used this from the start and never had any scorching issues
http://www.geterbrewed.ie/stainless-steel-false-bottom-for-peco-boiler/

WaterWolf

I wouldn't be surprised if that false bottom and the ikea splatter lid originated in the same factory!