• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:44 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

London Ale III Wyeast Smack Packs

Started by Leann ull, January 31, 2017, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

Haven't used wyeast in years after the last time beating the shit out of it on the kitchen counter, any tips or experiences using this particular strain.

molc

At least now I'm not the only one that can't seem to break the damn pack inside easily. Such a pita!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

nigel_c

Leann ull

I was like a half shot duck flapping around the kitchen last time
Yep Nigel had it shipped from U.K., from Brewuk very well packed and came with cool pack

molc

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

BrewDorg

Bought some 1318 from BrewUK in December too, a nice fresh smack pack. Have it fermenting a NEIPA for the past week at 18 C. This strain supposedly allows for 'hop biotransformation' during active fermentation, so I put a 100g dry hop charge in at 2 days. I'll let you know what it's like once kegged and ready in 2 weeks.

BrewDorg

Edited the post as you replied! Just to include that I added a 100g dry hop charge at day 2 to test out this hop biotransformation malarky.

irish_goat

Leann ull

BrewDorg

Leann ull

I'm still freaked out from when I added last lot in with a week to go
That was good article and just confirms all the stuff i started doing recently, late and 80 degree additions purging carboy with co2 and just leaving them on a couple of days, etc etc
Cheers for posting

BrewDorg

No probs. His blog has to be the best source of info on hoppy styles. I'd never be able to understand the sources he pulls from, but he breaks it down brilliantly.

Qs

Quote from: BrewDorg on January 31, 2017, 05:29:27 PM
Very good article by Scott Janish here. Biotransformation heading about 1/4 the way down.

http://scottjanish.com/examination-of-studies-hopping-methods-and-concepts-for-achieving-maximum-hop-aroma-and-flavor/

I was reading that today too. The stuff about extracting the oils within a day really has me thinking about dry hop times.