• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:03 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

London Ale III Wyeast Smack Packs

Started by Leann ull, January 31, 2017, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

My rule used to be min 3 max 7 now it's 2 and 4

SkiBeagle

Used wy1318 a couple of times. I love this yeast! Malty tones, lots of flavour, hint of sweet ales. Just wish it was more buyable. Nobody on the island has it in stock. Brewuk are the only HBS with stock.
Agree with bursting the pouch problems - worse than a pimple on yer arse!

molc

Yeah thinking of crying hopping for 1 day now before starting my cold crash and gelatin, which means it'll still have about 4 days in there.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Quote from: molc on February 01, 2017, 09:34:22 PM
Yeah thinking of crying hopping for 1 day now before starting my cold crash and gelatin, which means it'll still have about 4 days in there.

It's not that bad don't get upset about it

molc

*hangs head* Bloody phones!  So yeah, dry hopping

Leann ull

It's alright your among friends here, just let it out

DEMPSEY

Quote from: BrewDorg on January 31, 2017, 05:29:27 PM
Very good article by Scott Janish here. Biotransformation heading about 1/4 the way down.

http://scottjanish.com/examination-of-studies-hopping-methods-and-concepts-for-achieving-maximum-hop-aroma-and-flavor/
Interesting read that. The fact that dry hopping is really done in less than a day and to avoid oxygen pick up when dry hopping  :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Simon_

Which yeasts have you tried out (or are planning to) for NEPAs? They're all English strains are they? Is the Heady Topper one originally an English strain?

Leann ull

Ok as Nationals are now closed happy to say I did a Side by Side 007 v 051 shootout, when both in prime 051 won hands down with a more fruity aromatic punch, 007 started to clear
Next test Wyeast LA iii v Yeast Bay Vermont

molc

Quote from: CH on February 02, 2017, 10:52:29 AM
Ok as Nationals are now closed happy to say I did a Side by Side 007 v 051 shootout, when both in prime 051 won hands down with a more fruity aromatic punch, 007 started to clear
Next test Wyeast LA iii v Yeast Bay Vermont
Did the 051 have the aggressively grassy flavour when it was fresh? When we tasted this at the SCD meet, the 007 was much smoother and tasty, whereas the 051 was particularly harsh.
Looks like age has a massive effect on this style as well.

Leann ull

Much better when it was fresh, you had all the chewy bits from end of the keg  :(
next experiment for GCB comp is 051 v Vermont v Yeast LA III, thats a lot of starburst ;)
I'll make sure you get it fresh, I think there is a 6-8 week shelf life on this stuff ???

garciaBernal

Quote from: CH on February 01, 2017, 07:09:53 PM
My rule used to be min 3 max 7 now it's 2 and 4

Reminded me of this! A classic scene from Swingers. Skip in to 0.50  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA51_uLLuHI
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

Leann ull

"6 days is too much"

Was thinking of your tag line last week when I was drinking "Cuvée Armand" with Armand in Drie F

garciaBernal

Nice one! Was never there but I have in pencilled in this summer after the Carnivale Brettanomyces in Amsterdam!
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen