• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Storing Harvested Yeast

Started by ac13, February 15, 2017, 10:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ac13

I have a Belgian Dubbel that I'm looking to bottle up this weekend and I'm planning to try to harvest some of the yeast cake for reuse. I have read some guides on this and have seen recommendations to store in slightly open jars. Is there any reason I couldnt decant the cleaned yeast into sterilised beer bottles and cap them until ready to use (maybe a week or two later ?) as I think it may be easier to store them this way.

Cheers

Leann ull

Jar, beer bottle as long as it's covered, storage under beer is better than water just have in fridge and make sure everything is sterilised

DEMPSEY

The reason for loose lids is to allow the co2 vent off as the yeast get burned by the co2
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

ac13

Cheers lads, seems fully capping it is not the way to go so. Was hoping to do that just so it didnt spill in the fridge !

LordEoin

I used to keep yeast in piss jars on a rack in the fridge (it was a nice rack that made up for it) :D
I kept them sealed tight and occasionally over time the caps would bulge and crack, even at low temperatures and plenty of time to ferment out before sealing.
It's not a real problem with piss jars or bottle blanks, but the thin glass and lots of wall space in jars or bottles makes them a lot more prone to popping if they're capped and sealed.
And when a glass bottle pops, it pops good! My kitchen ceiling will testify to that.  ;D

DEMPSEY

You can seal them up once all fermentation and co2 is over and gone.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us