• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:21 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mangrove Jack's Bohemian Lager M84

Started by brian_c, August 11, 2017, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian_c

I brewed a lager with Mangrove Jack's Bohemian Lager M84 on tuesday. Chilled it to 10 degress and pitched two sachets at midnight (the counterflow chiller got the wort down to 25, then it took 7 hours in the fridge to get down to 10). I took a look at it this morning and it looked like nothing is happening. Not being used to lager yeasts I took a gravity sample and confirmed that it is still at OG.

I've been googling and it seems like this is common, e.g. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=600073, but I'm not confident. Any advice? I have some s-23 should I throw a sachet of that in?

Pheeel

I use m84 for the majority of my lagers. I normally ferment for 8 days at 12c then ramp up for the drest for 3 days then drop down to 1c

I'd bring it up to 12c and see what happens
Issues with your membership? PM me!

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: Pheeel on August 11, 2017, 11:16:22 PM
I use m84 for the majority of my lagers. I normally ferment for 8 days at 12c then ramp up for the drest for 3 days then drop down to 1c

I'd bring it up to 12c and see what happens

Have you used the MJ m76? Bavarian lager yeast? Did my first lager with it and it's in lagering stage ATM.

In my experience the M76 started fermenting quite rapidly - there was no nail biting lag phase. I did a take-no-chances pitch: 5 packs into 48L of 1.046 wort

It has under-attenuated I think, but samples from the FV taste decent, clean and in the ballpark of a German pilsner.

Interested to know what kind of character the bohemian strain brings, especially if it's your go to lager yeast.

mac2k

It seems that this is a slow starter at 10c. I am using it for al altbier at the moment and pitched it at 14c and it was bubbling away after 24 hours. Hopefully you got it sorted, but for anyone reading the thread, it might be better to start it a little warmer.

brian_c

It took 4 days to get going, but all was fine after that. Beer is fine but not going to use it again.

mac2k

October 25, 2017, 12:45:28 AM #5 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:33:19 PM by mac2k
Quote from: brian_c on September 25, 2017, 02:05:29 PM
It took 4 days to get going, but all was fine after that. Beer is fine but not going to use it again.

Good to hear... I am condition my beers now.  it finished a little higher than I would have expected.1.014 was hoping for 1.012, but that could happen with any yeast....  I will be cold crashing next week and will let you know in about 10 days :)

mac2k

Was quite happy with this ne. The Altbier (extract) Turned out really nice. Very clean flavor profile. Nice clean malt taste as well. I have ordered some more of this yeast for a Pilsner I am planning to brew soon. I think the slightly warmer temp to start helped with this yeast.  Will be interested to see how others get on with it.

TheSumOfAllBeers

(sorry for the necro thread, but its on topic)

Currently fermenting a lager with this. It got pitched 30/mar in the evening at 10.5-11C (55L of 1.049 wort with 50g of M84, rehydrated).

By the morning 31 Mar there was bubbling in the blow off tube and this ramped up steadily. I took the temp up to 12C and held it there for the week.
4th April bubbling slowing down. Took a sample and we are down to 1.021. Ramped up to 14C to keep the action going.

I was surprised by sample clarity. Too early to really tell with this beer, but the sample was a little citrusy, but otherwise very clean.