• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BarrelO'Rebel II.II- Return of the Rebel

Started by Dr Horrible, December 26, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

I think I have the Original BarrelO'Rebel recipe.
Its more-or-less as it was sort-of whatever Billy needed to dump.  ???
If I can find it I'll post it tonight.

I still have about 20l in a keg that could do with a dose of Brett to clean it up...

Dr Horrible

I'm keeping that nice fruity strain of Brett going that you tasted in the Belgian blonde I brought a few meetings back - could drop you over a bottle if you want and you could either chuck in the dregs directly or add some starter wort to the end of the bottle to wake up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cambrinus

A few here too. We could use as a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cambrinus

I've another recipe somewhere of an imperial porter which is spiced with chilli and cocoa nibs.
I can dig that up if someone is interested.

mr hoppy

This is the Ron Pattinson version of the Courage 1914 I was thinking of. Looking at the comments section it looks like a winner.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ie/2012/02/lets-brew-wednesday-1914-courage.html

The grist is pretty much the same as the 1850 Truman Cambrinus put up. I think more than 20% brown malt is really pushing it - even 18% is a lot.

The yeast is different, but he has the same yeast as the 1850, and the 1918 Courage Double Stout recipe in HBGTVB, so I'd say either / or.

The Durden Park version is similar to the one I've linked above except it has 1kg of cane sugar and the hop addition is 210g of Fuggles (@ 5.5% AA that's ) - but it doesn't specify when in the boil it goes in.

Dr Horrible

Really liking the look of those recipes - I like the simplicity of the pale/brown/black malt combination so the 1850 looked good from the first post and the Courage recipe looks very similar but with a less insane hopping schedule so I'd definitely be in favour of that one - maybe not the 2 hour mash and 2 hour boil though!

BrewDorg

Ha! Coincidentally, I'm brewing a half batch of the Courage 1850 recipe tomorrow. Wouldn't put me off doing it again though, the BA version would be an interesting side by side.

johnrm

Found this...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Barrel'O'Rebel #20
Brewer: Rebel Brewers
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 216.38 l
Post Boil Volume: 213.54 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 200.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 195.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.096 SG
Estimated Color: 86.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 81.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
65.00 kg              Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)           Grain         1        71.8 %       
13.00 kg              White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC)               Grain         2        14.4 %       
6.00 kg               Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC)               Grain         3        6.6 %         
1.50 kg               Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC)          Grain         4        1.7 %         
1.50 kg               Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         5        1.7 %         
1.00 kg               Amber Malt (43.3 EBC)                    Grain         6        1.1 %         
1.00 kg               Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)                 Grain         7        1.1 %         
1.00 kg               Chocolate Malt (933.0 EBC)               Grain         8        1.1 %         
0.55 kg               Brown Malt (430.0 EBC)                   Grain         9        0.6 %         
300.00 g              Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 90. Hop           10       38.2 IBUs     
300.00 g              Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min         Hop           11       34.7 IBUs     
100.00 g              Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min          Hop           12       3.7 IBUs     
100.00 g              Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. Hop           13       4.3 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098) [1 Yeast         14       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 90.55 kg
----------------------------
Name                 Description                             Step Temperature     Step Time           
Mash In              Add 238.15 l of water at 74.6 C         66.7 C               60 min             

Dr Horrible

Cambrinus, do you want to throw up that Imperial Porter recipe as well just so we have all the options up there?

Cambrinus

Spiced imperial stout:

Imperial porter:

mr hoppy

Quote from: Dr Horrible on January 10, 2018, 10:23:27 PM
maybe not the 2 hour mash and 2 hour boil though!

I can't believe either are essential.

Cambrinus

Quote from: mr hoppy on January 11, 2018, 09:46:37 PM
Quote from: Dr Horrible on January 10, 2018, 10:23:27 PM
maybe not the 2 hour mash and 2 hour boil though!

I can't believe either are essential.
Agreed. Malts are better modified than 100 years ago. 

mr hoppy

Ok, we've plenty of recipes now.Which one are we going with?

Dr Horrible

Personally, it's between the Courage RIS and the Imperial Porter for me. 

mr hoppy

I'd agree. What does anyone else think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk