• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:12 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lager yeast

Started by Donny, November 28, 2018, 04:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny

Hey everyone,

Brewing a bohemian pilsner at the moment. Pitched a yeast starter I made into it on the 17th. Its coming up on 2 weeks in the fermentation fridge now and its only dropped just over a point in gravity. I haven't much experience with lagers but I thought it would have dropped more by now. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Saflager s-23
OG 1.052
Current gravity 1.038
Kept at 10C

Donny

Oh Crap

Sorry for the obvious question but what temp are you fermenting at?
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

DEMPSEY

should be further along by now. Is your fridge reading right at 10 C
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Oh Crap

Whoops didn't see temp.. I'd say a touch low at 10c try 12
As Dempsey said it should be further along. Raise the temperature and check your fridge temp
Beer

molc

If it's a lager yeast 10 is more than high enough. That sounds like it's not even fermenting. Bad yeast pitch?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Donny

Its STC controlled and 10C is correct. I made a good starter or a least I thought I did. Would it be of any benefit to add a sachet of the same yeast this late in the game?

Oh Crap

What have you to lose, pitch another pack but Up the temp to 12. Or try 34/70 yeast at 12c. I know 10c is in the range but do up it to 12.
Beer

Simon_

Why did you make a starter with dry yeast? I'd chuck another 2 sachets in to get it moving.
Also how are you measuring gravity. A spectrometer perhaps? If so that's not straight forward. Take one with a hydrometer

DEMPSEY

You need alot of yeast for a lager, 3 times that of an Ale so you may also have underpitched. Add more yeast and see if you get an improvement

Donny

I had made a starter using dry yeast, I had a good amount of slurry going in. Never got into spectrometers, Ive always used hydrometers.

I added another 11g pack of the same yeast again this evening. Im hoping this will improve it

DEMPSEY

Just a follow up question but how did this pan out in the end.