• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Oatmeal Stout

Started by Tiger Ed, November 16, 2018, 03:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger Ed

Planning to make an Oatmeal Stout After trying some brilliant one's at this summer's Great British Beer Festival. I have a recipe and I have done some research but I am still a bit apprehensive.
You see The way I see it is flaked oats + hot water = Porridge (Not good in your Mash Tun) or at least something gummy.
So any advice will be greatly received.
PS Yeast suggestions  would be good too
                                                           Eddy

Water_Wolf

I've never specifically brewed an oatmeal stout, but I've used flaked oats and haven't had problems particular to them. I did have problems with an imperial stout (which had flaked barley, not flaked oats) due to the large grain bill. I got the classic 'stuck mash' whereby the mash was so thick it sealed up the top of the mash tun. When the tap at the bottom was opened, hardly anything came out because there was a vacuum at the bottom of the mash tun. The best way to avoid this is probably to stick a tube down from the top of the mash tun to the bottom so that a vacuum can't form.

benji

What about mashing the oats separately in a pot, then adding both to the kettle
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

guest1203

I've brewed an Oatmeal Stout twice to the same recipe using 250g rolled oats and no problems with stuck mash or anything like that.

Shanna

Oats won't really add any flavour to your stout, body yes but not flavour. If you want flavour you will need to roast/toast them for a while and then store for about a week in an air tight container to mellow out before using them.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

fobster

If you can raise the temp of the mash to 76c at the end, a mash-out step as it's called that should help also a handful or two of oat husks always helps

phildo79

I've made a couple of oatmeal stouts and they have always left an inch or trub in the bottles after settling. This is despite filtering the batch before hand. Can't quite remember how I used them the first time, however the second time, I forgot to add them to the mash and had to add them to the boil. Either way though, huge amount of trub.

DEMPSEY

Oats have no enzymes useful to mashing. They must be mashed (or partially mashed) with a malted grain for the starches to be converted. As Shanna said they don't really have much taste. If you made porridge and add nothing to it and then eat some of it you will see it is pretty bland. By toasting it first you will add some of the desired nutty flavour you might be thinking of. Another mistake some people do is to not get the final gravity low enough. For the oats to shine yo would want to get the gravity down to 1012 area.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Keep the IBU's around the 30 mark too.

JohnnyJohnJohns

If you want body without flavour just mash untoasted oats. If you want a slight nutty oaty flavour you can roast them in the oven at 150 until they start to colour.

Is recommend 8-12% of your recipe depending on how much you want the oats to be present. I BIAB but you could use rice hulls if you're worried about a stuck mash.

For year I've tried Nottingham, US-05 and S-04. S-04 was my favourite as it kept a bit more of the malt character but try a few options to see what suits your tastes!

DEMPSEY

Brewed mine and it's on tap as I write. Very happy with it and will brew it again. Only make minor changes to it :-X

DEMPSEY

JohnnyJohnJohns

That looks delicious, any chance you'd share the recipe?  ;D

DEMPSEY

I will after the competition  ;)

phildo79

This one's a doozie...

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/robs-oatmeal-stout-2/

Have it in the keg and enjoying a glass or two most nights. Om nom nom.