• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 07:45:19 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast fermentation temperature

Started by mick02, May 16, 2019, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

May 16, 2019, 07:04:59 PM Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:26:16 PM by mick02
Was just looking at my brewpi this evening and thought I'd share a screenshot for those that were asking about fermentation temp in other threads. As you can see the fridge temp is currently sitting at 17.4C while the beer is at 20C. Just something to be aware of for those of you that don't have proper temperature control.
NHC Committee member

Slev

Where do you take your beer temp and fridge temps? (eg side of vessel, thermowell, free in the chamber, in vial of liquid )?
Also, i see there is a fridge setting and beer setting - do uyou set your target beer temp and let the fridge control to it?

mick02

Hey Slev,

I've got a probe in a thermal well in the beer and another one hanging freely in the fridge. The PID controller turns on the heat tube or the fridge depending on whether or not it needs heat or cold. The fridge Probe is the black wire that is coiled up behind the gauge
NHC Committee member

Slev

Nice setup. (abd a great reply. Thanks)
Ok, so the heat/cool cycle is controlled to the targeted beer setting. What is the fridge setting (constant) for? (i am guessing that the fridge temp is for info only (in your set up, as is).

mick02

Quote from: Slev on May 16, 2019, 09:09:22 PM
Nice setup. (abd a great reply. Thanks)
Ok, so the heat/cool cycle is controlled to the targeted beer setting. What is the fridge setting (constant) for? (i am guessing that the fridge temp is for info only (in your set up, as is).

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the BrewPi project. Basically I have a raspberrypi that is hooked up to an arduino board. The arduino board has 2 solid state relays connected to it. On one SSR there is a plug, I've got my fridge plugged into that and the other SSR has another plug that is connected to the heat tube. The brewpi has a PID controller built in and it reads the different temperatures then triggers either the fridge plug for cooling or the heat tube plug for heating. You can get a full run down of it here - https://diybrewpi.fandom.com/wiki/Schematics

The fridge constant setting is handy if I'm storing beers or anything in there and I can just set the temp. I also use the constant fridge setting if I want to condition bottles in there.

If you want to keep a close eye on the current state of my beer you can check it here - https://brewpi.mickotoole.com

Hope this answers your question?
NHC Committee member

Slev

Thanks mick,

On your graph, beer setting shows a constant line as you'd expect, the actual beer temp fluctuates only a little from this, (which is good to see!). The fridge temp rises and falls as the heating/cooling cycle as youd expect, but the fridge setting trends along side (but a degree or so lower) the fridge temp. Why is this? Is it linked to the output of the beer temp? Or why is it not a constant line? (thinking about it, it xant be a constant, other wise you're cooling wouldnt cycle.)
Also, in terms of handling the conical fermenter, i guess you transfer tge wort from your boil kettle via pump, with the fermenter in situ in the fridge, but for kegging%bottling, is it awkward? And when empty, for washing etc, is it tricky to handle/position in place?

mick02

Quote from: Slev on May 17, 2019, 03:31:05 PM
Thanks mick,

On your graph, beer setting shows a constant line as you'd expect, the actual beer temp fluctuates only a little from this, (which is good to see!). The fridge temp rises and falls as the heating/cooling cycle as youd expect, but the fridge setting trends along side (but a degree or so lower) the fridge temp. Why is this? Is it linked to the output of the beer temp? Or why is it not a constant line? (thinking about it, it xant be a constant, other wise you're cooling wouldnt cycle.)
Also, in terms of handling the conical fermenter, i guess you transfer tge wort from your boil kettle via pump, with the fermenter in situ in the fridge, but for kegging%bottling, is it awkward? And when empty, for washing etc, is it tricky to handle/position in place?

Hey Slev,

I think you answered the first question yourself. In relation to the second question - I transfer the wort directly form the counter flow chiller to the conical. I then carry it to the fridge and lift it in (it's only 25L so it's manageable). As for kegging it's very simple. I usually hook up the red tube to my CO2 cannister and transfer under pressure. This helps me avoid any oxygen pickup. I've added a pic that shows you my kegging method. Bottling is a little trickier but thankfully I don't bottle too often!
NHC Committee member

CH

I feckin knew it Micks a closet Heino Drinker

mick02

Quote from: CH on May 17, 2019, 08:18:59 PM
I feckin knew it Micks a closet Heino Drinker
Noooooooooooooooo! I've been rumbled!
NHC Committee member

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us