• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:43:01 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yellow Belly Citra recipe anyone?

Started by bazbart, June 02, 2019, 08:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Quote from: dickvaughan on July 08, 2019, 11:37:46 PMWhat does 6g/l @ 18° mean (I am new to all this). Also, I presume 60%@90min means its a 90min boil with 60% of the IBUs from Huell Melon added at the start?
Thanks,
Dick Vaughan

6g/l @ 18° = 6 grams of dry hops (Citra) per litre, when the beer is at 18°C. So for 4.5L you'd need 27g of Citra.

Correct with the IBUs as well.

delzep

So Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale only contains Huell Melon hops now?

mick02

Quote from: CARA on July 07, 2019, 05:32:55 PM
Well how did it turn out? That quick grain bill was Citra MK1. Dry hop addition has since been uped to 6g/l @ 18° and all Huell Melon in the kettle, 60%@90 min, 20% @60min, 20%@15min to a total 22ibu. Any other YB recipes you want, just ask ?
Dry hop addition has since been upped to 6g/L ... that suggests to me that there is even more Citra in its current guise.
NHC Committee member

irish_goat

Quote from: delzep on July 09, 2019, 01:26:15 PM
So Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale only contains Huell Melon hops now?

Huell Melon only in the boil. Citra is the dryhop. Suppose "Yellowbelly Huell Melon & Citra Pale Ale" doesn't really fit well on a tapbadge.

delzep

Qs

Pretty common for commercial brewers to call a beer after the feature hop even if they use others in the mix too.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: Qs on July 09, 2019, 03:31:42 PM
Pretty common for commercial brewers to call a beer after the feature hop even if they use others in the mix too.

^ this. Who wastes expensive Citra as a source of IBU?

CARA

Yeah just all citra in the dry hop and huell in the kettle. Not misleading at all imo. I have literally spelled out the recipe haha.
I'll post the other two brews asked for in the clone section is its still there. Haven't been online in ages!
Upa Sesh

delzep

I meant misleading to the customer in a bar or offie

irish_goat

Quote from: delzep on July 10, 2019, 11:03:03 AM

But anyone ordering it who is expecting Citra hops can't really argue that they've been misled.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: CARA on July 10, 2019, 01:21:25 AM
Yeah just all citra in the dry hop and huell in the kettle. Not misleading at all imo. I have literally spelled out the recipe haha.
I'll post the other two brews asked for in the clone section is its still there. Haven't been online in ages!

Good man, thanks
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: irish_goat on July 10, 2019, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: delzep on July 10, 2019, 11:03:03 AM

But anyone ordering it who is expecting Citra hops can't really argue that they've been misled.

I agree here, you would want to be very entitled to feel cheated by this, when they don't claim it is a single hop Citra beer, and the Citra contribution is quite high.

Now my desert island beer is an all Citra beer (Oakham Citra or it's bigger brother Green Devil), and I miss it over here. But I don't write off YB Citra because it's not one of those.

irish_goat

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on July 10, 2019, 06:26:30 PM
Now my desert island beer is an all Citra beer (Oakham Citra or it's bigger brother Green Devil), and I miss it over here. But I don't write off YB Citra because it's not one of those.

The new Spoons on Abbey St has Oakham Citra on cask at the minute. €3.25 a pint.

TheSumOfAllBeers

They tapped it in Stansted too just as I had ordered something mediocre last Saturday.

It's unusual on cask - most hoppy pales are nothing more than the sum of their parts on cask- but Oakham Citra really works. It's a different experience in bottle too (which I prefer).