• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:57 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Why do bean counters hate beer

Started by DEMPSEY, October 18, 2019, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

I was in Graingers pub recently and saw they had BASS on tap. Years since I had one so I says, giz a pint of that please. Served in it's proper glass with the logo and all,however, I think I ended up with a pint of Taylor Keith red lemonade. No hops at all and no bitterness to balance the sweet pint. It was once a GREAT beer but no more.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Simon_

October 18, 2019, 01:27:28 PM #1 Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:58:10 PM by Simon_
Could it be possible that all the super hoppy beers of today have moved your pallet and the recipe hasn't changed that much.

DEMPSEY

If you had one you would not suggest that.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

delzep

I had a few pints of bass on cask in Liverpool about a year ago and loved it. Had a pint on cask about a year before that in Bath and it was awful

In summary, I dunno

phildo79

I used to drink Bass and wherever you went, the first couple of pints weren't great. I think it's because it isn't a big seller and lies in the line. Having said that, I never thought it was a GREAT beer, it was just the best of a bad bunch. When your only other options are Harp, Tennents, Carlsberg or shit Guinness, a pint of Bass doesn't seem too bad.

I do feel a lot more people are craving more flavour these days and the likes of Bass have stood still. Their recipe probably hasn't changed and just seems bland by comparison now.

Hartranft

You may be right, Phildo79. One thing's to never change your original flavor, but to not come up with new stuff makes you vulnerable to market trends.