• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:31 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best before 2013

Started by marzen scorsese, November 05, 2019, 08:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marzen scorsese

Hello everyone how's things with you all? It's my first post in a long time but I've recently got back into brewing and done a few kits.
Anyhow I have 7 lager kits gifted to me and they are best before 2013 and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used old cans of extract and how old was it. I'm gonna open it up and have a smell at the very least but I'd like to hear from you first in case there's any horror stories while I'm waiting for yeast and hops to be delivered.

I actually reckon they will be fine and we will see I suppose ?

pob

Don't waste your time or money on other ingredients for these.

They are so old at this stage (probably canned 7+ years ago) I'd say the malt has definitely turned for the worse, way passed it's best. Always use the freshest quality ingredients you have.

You wouldn't make bread with 3-4 year old flour or a sandwich with 2 week old bread - same principle applies.

Yes, you can brew something with it, but it won't be good, probably not even ok.

For the sake of the couple of hours setting it up & cleaning up after, spend €20 on a new kit.

Simon_

Alright for making yeast starters with.

Will_D

As its been so long since you brewed, why not brew up one to remember how it all works!

If it tastes OK drink it, if not bin it.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

phildo79

'Best before' is totally different than 'use by'. Since everything can be set up in less than 30 minutes, I'd be inclined to give one a try, even just out of curiosity. I'd be even more inclined if I was kegging it, as bottling up a 40 pint kit is not fun.

As previously mentioned though, don't expect greatness.

pob

Brulosphy exBEERiment on something similar. Fresh vs one year old.

Expect malt to be a lot darker (caramel & melanoidin).

TheSumOfAllBeers

Dont waste any DME on them for sure, I would be tempted to put 2 cans together instead of 1 can plus extra fermentables.

After that many years the IBUs will have declined a lot anyway, and I would be tempted to put all the yeast sachets together