• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

WHC Valkyrie Kveik yeast

Started by guest2162, September 27, 2019, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2162

Has anybody tried WHC Valkyrie yeast? The description says not to Use any bittering hops... has anyone experience with that?

Planning on brewing a red ale with it tomorrow and wondering what kind of hop schedule to use.

guest2162

So just an update on this... I went ahead and tried it with an Irish red I brewed and it definitely affects the bitterness. I usually aim for about 25 IBU all in one bittering addition, but with this I went for 20 IBU and I would say it has come out more bitter than usual, perceptively maybe about 30IBU... it's hard to tell because it has attenuated more and seems thinner and more acidic. It's still a great beer though and won't last long over the holidays!

Jonnycheech

Yeah i made a NEIPA style beer with one of the Kveik strains and the perceived bitterness was though the roof! Use with caution!
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

Bazza

Is this the same with all Kveik yeast strains?

I recently bought a vial of WHC Ragnar yeast for IPAs and pales, so should I be dialing down the bittering additions with this one too?

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

guest2162

I haven't tried that one... I did try the pseudo lager strain, lagartha I think and it didn't affect the bitterness... it was a bit more acidic or thin tasting, but I didn't notice it more bitter

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: Bazza on December 23, 2019, 12:05:56 PM
Is this the same with all Kveik yeast strains?

I recently bought a vial of WHC Ragnar yeast for IPAs and pales, so should I be dialing down the bittering additions with this one too?

Cheers,

-Barry

No I am using the Ubbe strain and I am finding its bitterness to be right where you want it.

krockett

I've made a few NEIPAs with Valkyrie. All reference to this one online (I believe it's from Ebbegarden)  warn that it enhances bitterness so I've just added whirlpool addition as only hot side hop at 85 degrees and they've been fine but I prefer the mouthfeel of London Ale iii. I accidentally whirlpooled once at 90 instead of 60 and it tasted about 50 ibus so you do need to be careful with it.

Its handy that you can dry it. I have 40 grammes of it dried and frozen in case I need to get a brew done quickly which should last a fair few years from what I've read.

bighoppapump

Thinking of using this for a neipa but cant hold high temps. Will it still produce fruity flavours at room temp or is the 30+ C temp necessary for these flavours?