• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:56 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hello, of new novice brewe

Started by irish1759, June 30, 2020, 06:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish1759

Hi from Dublin.
Recently picked up a brewing kit, which consists of the coopers fermenter and the plastic bottles.  Havent got around to using it yet as waiting on some supplies to arrive to brew a lager and then a chocolate stout.
The kit did come with the VWP cleaner and steriliser. I am not sure what the best way to use it is to clean and sterilis the fermenter,bottles and other bits.  I will get around to getting a no rinse sanitizer at some stage.

But in the meantime can anyone enlighten me on using VWP as couldnt find anything on YouTube. :P

Thanks,

Aidan

Water_Wolf

I've never used VWP but my understanding is that you make a solution of it with water and then completely immerse the equipment that you want to sanitise in it. You then have to rinse the equipment with clean water afterwards.

irish1759

Quote from: Water_Wolf on June 30, 2020, 08:17:50 PMI've never used VWP but my understanding is that you make a solution of it with water and then completely immerse the equipment that you want to sanitise in it. You then have to rinse the equipment with clean water afterwards.

Was thinking that, but wasn't sure if I need to fill the whole fermenter upto the top or just about 1/4 way and shake it around a bit.

johnrm

Hi Irish and welcome,
There's loads of info for starting out if you have a poke around the forum.
On VWP, You only need to sloosh about half a litre around your fermenter.
Clean and fill a windolene bottle for spraying your bits'n'bobs.
When you've finished your current supply of VWP, consider starsan or similar.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

irish1759

Quote from: johnrm on July 04, 2020, 09:48:13 PMHi Irish and welcome,
There's loads of info for starting out if you have a poke around the forum.
On VWP, You only need to sloosh about half a litre around your fermenter.
Clean and fill a windolene bottle for spraying your bits'n'bobs.
When you've finished your current supply of VWP, consider starsan or similar.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks johnrm, I am going to order some chemsan later and a bottle rinser to make life a bit easier, and will keep the VWP for heavy duty cleaning. I heard the Chemsan is similar to the StarSan .

johnrm

I've not used chemsan myself, but there's a bit of chatter here...
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/best-star-san-alternative-including-all-new-chemsan.83415/

I used to use bleach/vinegar solution (CAUTION!) and now use starsan.
If I am any way dubious, I use Caustic Soda (CAUTION!).
PBW is another good cleaner that some lads swear by, I am not familiar with it myself.

irish1759

July 06, 2020, 10:20:04 AM #6 Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:34:09 PM by irish1759
I also looked into track some greyland food safe sanitizer down, it's also a no rinse and comes in 5l tubs. It looks similar to the starSan. There is a place in Ireland that stocks it but for commercial use, so haven't got a price but heard from the guys in the UK using it and it's meant to be pretty cheap for 5 litres

https://www.greyland.co.uk/catering/food-safe-bactericidal-cleaner

johnrm

I hope they recovered from their heating.
You need to review if using predictive!

irish1759

Quote from: johnrm on July 06, 2020, 08:37:42 PMI hope they recovered from their heating.
You need to review if using predictive!
Didn't spot that typo, fixed now.
If they sell me some I'll review it and get prices on it.