• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:11 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Conditioning in a 2.5 l swing top growler

Started by Keokee, October 24, 2020, 11:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keokee

Hi,
I have a 2.5 l swing top growler that I was going to use to condition a blond ale in. I read somewhere that this might not be a good idea but I can't seem to find the post. Anyone have thoughts on this? Potential to explode? Should I use less sugar to prime?
Thanks

phildo79

Quote from: Keokee on October 24, 2020, 11:42:19 AMHi,
I have a 2.5 l swing top growler that I was going to use to condition a blond ale in. I read somewhere that this might not be a good idea but I can't seem to find the post. Anyone have thoughts on this? Potential to explode? Should I use less sugar to prime?
Thanks
If you use the correct amount of priming sugar, I doubt it will explode. However, bigger is not always better, for various reasons. Are you going to be able to remove all sediment before bottling? If not, then unless you plan on pouring the entire contents in one go, you will disturb the sediment. Are you also planning on drinking the 2.5L in one sitting? If not, your beer will go flat unless drank reasonably quickly.

Whilst the idea of only using one or very few bottles is appealing (been there, done that, threw away the bottles), the reality is that it just isn't as practical as you first think. My advice would be to stick with bottles around the 500ml mark and that can be stored upright in the fridge. And you will only need 5 of them for this brew.

LordEoin

The bigger surface area of the bigger bottle will crack at a lower pressure than a smaller bottle, unless the thickness is scaled up with the volume.

Keokee

Thanks Phildo & Lordeoin. Good points. I probably won't risk it. I have bought a couple of corny kegs but didn't account for boil off and only ended up with 15l so I've been scrambling around for bottles. The growler seems a bit on the flimsy side so I'm not going to risk it. I had some okay results conditioning in a mini keg before. Carbonation a bit low but it was a stout that time so worked out. I might do that again.
Cheers

phildo79

Quote from: Keokee on October 28, 2020, 06:43:46 PMThanks Phildo & Lordeoin. Good points. I probably won't risk it. I have bought a couple of corny kegs but didn't account for boil off and only ended up with 15l so I've been scrambling around for bottles. The growler seems a bit on the flimsy side so I'm not going to risk it. I had some okay results conditioning in a mini keg before. Carbonation a bit low but it was a stout that time so worked out. I might do that again.
Cheers
No harm in putting 15L in a corny. I put about 16L in a corny last night.

Keokee

[/quote]
[/quote]
Thanks Phildo79. That's good to know for the future. I'm assuming you'd be purging all the o2 out with co2? I've no gas at the moment. I might start another thread to see if it's possible to get refills during this lockdown.
Cheers

phildo79

[/quote]
Thanks Phildo79. That's good to know for the future. I'm assuming you'd be purging all the o2 out with co2? I've no gas at the moment. I might start another thread to see if it's possible to get refills during this lockdown.
Cheers
[/quote]
I ferment under pressure and close transfer my brews to my cornies. So, yes, cornies need purged of o2. I do it by filling the corny with sanitiser, sealing at 30 psi and then emptying the sanitiser into another corny via the liquid out post.

Unfortunately gas is something you really do need when it comes to corny kegs. You could try a sodastream canister.