• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:41 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ale Slurry wanted please.

Started by Eoin, June 27, 2013, 09:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

June 27, 2013, 09:08:21 AM Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:13:38 AM by Eoin
Hi guys,

I'm brewing on Saturday and have put on some out of date vials of Irish ale yeast to grow some up and refresh the yeast, problem is it  was put on yesterday morning and it's still showing no activity, the two vials were BBE February so are a few months out of date. I expect and hope that I will see some activity, but I don't know will I have enough yeast for the two brews planned this weekend.
Can anyone help out with any English ale yeast slurry as I won't have time to grow slants or anything of the sort for this Saturday.
Thanks in advance,

Eoin

johnrm

Phone HBW, post today, deliver Friday, brew Saturday.

Eoin

Quote from: johnrm on June 27, 2013, 09:32:56 AM
Phone HBW, post today, deliver Friday, brew Saturday.

I want to use liquid yeast, not a fan of dried at all.

johnrm

I hear ya, you started with "I'm brewing on Saturday..."

Eoin

Quote from: johnrm on June 27, 2013, 01:31:57 PM
I hear ya, you started with "I'm brewing on Saturday..."

not knocking your help thanks :)

Shane Phelan

I have my capital brewers stout sitting on WLP004 yeast in secondary. If you were really stuck I could siphon the beer off the yeast and bump it into a 3L starter this evening...? 
Brew Log

Eoin

Quote from: shiny on June 27, 2013, 02:21:35 PM
I have my capital brewers stout sitting on WLP004 yeast in secondary. If you were really stuck I could siphon the beer off the yeast and bump it into a 3L starter this evening...?

Oooh shiny, that would be really cool if you were able to do such a thing.
Or just put the slurry in a jar and I'll pitch it directly, no need for a starter from a viable yeast like that is there?

Shane Phelan

I don't know, its secondary so there isn't as much yeast as there would be in the primary. I suppose if your wort gravity is reasonable then it would be fine.
Brew Log

Eoin

Quote from: shiny on June 27, 2013, 02:46:03 PM
I don't know, its secondary so there isn't as much yeast as there would be in the primary. I suppose if your wort gravity is reasonable then it would be fine.

If you can do it and see how much you end up with? I'd imagine if there is 3-400ml of slurry that I won't have a problem using that directly, if it's less then a starter may be necessary.

Where are you based?

Shane Phelan

Based in Ballsbridge in the evenings, DCU during the day.
Brew Log

Eoin

Quote from: shiny on June 27, 2013, 03:11:29 PM
Based in Ballsbridge in the evenings, DCU during the day.

Cool man, if you can bring yourself to do that I'd be very thankful and can pop over to BB on Saturday if that's ok?

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on June 27, 2013, 03:29:23 PM
Eoin, the BJCP course is on on Saturday in WJK's. I think Shiny's at that. But my reason for posting is Drumcondra station is on the Maynooth line etc.

It's not a worry, my German mate is over brewing with me, he's just joined actually as Lordarpad and he has the jammer on the day.

Shane Phelan

Yeah I'm at the BJCP thing on Saturday but I can bring the yeast with me no problem.
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

I have a jar of slurry taken from the bottom of the fermenter, I don't know exactly how much I will have until it settles down but its very thick and fairly dark. It might add one or two SRM to your beer.  :D
Brew Log

Eoin

You've gone to a bit of effort now and I feel guilty, I got home this evening and both gallon jugs had a krausen.

I will keep you in reserve if that's ok, if I don't think the starter has produced enough yeast by Tomorrow evening I'll give you a shout for Saturday.

I do thank you for putting yourself out though.