• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:17 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Acid washing yeast, with Star San?

Started by admin, September 19, 2012, 09:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Has anyone ever acid-washed yeast? The idea is that bacteria can't survive very acidic pH's, but yeast is unaffected.

It occurred to me yesterday that Star San if an effective sanitiser because it is an acid, and it's no-rinse as it doesn't kill yeast.

So, could yeast be acid washed with Star San solution?

Eoin

QuoteHas anyone ever acid-washed yeast? The idea is that bacteria can't survive very acidic pH's, but yeast is unaffected.

It occurred to me yesterday that Star San if an effective sanitiser because it is an acid, and it's no-rinse as it doesn't kill yeast.

Is it worth doing? I'm not sure it is personally. I don't think that star san is low enough pH, I understood pH2 is necessary to wash yeast, star san is in the pH +/-3 range. You could get some nitric or some hydrochloric and do it with that, but is it really worth it?

DEMPSEY

All the stuff I read on this subject came up with,sterile distilled water,as the ideal for using to wash your trub.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

QuoteI remembered this site before when researching this subject,http://www.birkocorp.com/brewery/white-papers/coming-clean-a-new-method-of-washing-yeast-with-chlorine-dioxide/

Basically goes into washing but starts with the disputed nature of it's value.

I was told that it's only worth doing to save a valued strain that has problems.

oblivious

QuoteHas anyone ever acid-washed yeast? The idea is that bacteria can't survive very acidic pH's, but yeast is unaffected.

Star san is a fundamental a detergent and this will
Destroy the lipid membrane of both bacteria and yeast. A food rade acid would be best

Jacob

What about opinions on different sites saying that:
QuoteStarsan ends up as a yeast nutrient in the
fermenter'
?

Jacob

I'm not going to argue about it but I've seen that on multiple sites...

oblivious

QuoteVery early to be up on a Saturday morning lads!
Because a one year old likes an early start  ;)

oblivious

QuoteI'm not going to argue about it but I've seen that on multiple sites...

Looks to.be true as star san break down it release phosphate and this is required for cell signaling and  phosphorylation of proteins, just like us

Just be awear that wild yeast and molds .can do the same too, so clean health year is.important

Spud395

October 13, 2012, 01:00:51 PM #10 Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:13:36 PM by Spud395
QuoteYou could get some nitric or some hydrochloric and do it with that, but is it really worth it?
Phosphoric acid is what is normally used in the brewing industry.
Like was stated above  pH2 is what is desired for between 2 and 4 hours.
Quiet a few of the big breweries acid wash as a matter of course, but it's very stressful for the yeast. IT will be more effective on ale yeast than lager yeast (I cant quiet remember why)

I really wouldnt bother, I'd look after my yeast better to begin with, it's only used when your yeast has a high bacterial count :o
Non modo......sed etiam

Partridge9

October 17, 2012, 01:59:53 PM #11 Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:02:40 PM by Partridge9
Yeap -

A few misconceptions knocking around here -

Washing Yeast

- Its primarily done in Breweries to kill any bacteria - hold the pH at 2.4 for a period and the yeast with healthy cell membranes survive and the bacteria die. This will have the adverse effect of stressing your yeast - homebrewers shouldn't ever do this - if you have bacteria build up - buy new yeast !!! (like spud said!)

Rinsing Yeast

- Done by homebrewers with trub after a good healthy fermentation - collect trub - add sanitized water  - by a process of stratification - seperate the yuk and dead cells from the healthy yeast cells.

Stan San

- In normal concentrations will kill all yeast and bacteria but the reason you don't need to rinse after use is that by adding the beer you are lowering the concentration of starsan to negligible levels. The yeast may consume this but either way it does not impact the taste of the beer.

That's my understanding.

Will_D

The best two acids to use are: FG Phosphoric ( hard to get hold of ) or Citric Acid ( Easy peasy to GHO )

Footnote: To buy CA just don't look like a druggie in the health food shop. The one I was in said "We keep it round the back, out od sight", as druggies buy it; "to clean their needles"

FFS! no wonder we have an aids problem when the sensient IV users want to sanitise their kit and industry/shops make it difficult

/[endrant]
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

oblivious

Footnote: To buy CA just don't look like a druggie in the health food shop. The one I was in said "We keep it round the back, out od sight", as druggies buy it; "to clean their needles"

FFS! no wonder we have an aids problem when the sensient IV users want to sanitise their kit and industry/shops make it difficult/[endrant]

That or pro down to Thomas street and use the vinegar proved by some kind chippers (unaware) to clean them out ;)