• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:45:21 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast Starters - easiest way to make??

Started by Stitch, November 25, 2012, 08:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

Ok so I am looking to wash some yeast with a view to using again. I have a stout sitting on US-05 at the moment and a spare packet in the fridge, so if it does not work out no big deal. So after I wash the yeast it will probably sit in the fridge in the jar for a week or two. Problem is that I don't have a stir plate. I have read and watched on youtube that if I collect enough of the yeast I may not need to make a starter per se. Just wake up the yeast and pour in. At present I don't have a stir plate. No I have read that you can just grow the yeast by swirling the flask every few hours????

Anyone else grow starters this way or just pitch from jar and hope for best. I have an ar*e civering packet of yeast in fridge incase there is an issue.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Rob

rukkus

When I make a starter I just build up a wort using extract to about 1.040 and pop in the yeast.

i keep it in a 750ml bottle. I then place that in a water bath that keeps it at about 22c using an aquarium heater (maybe this is overkill but its cold lately). I take it out a few times a day and give it a swirl. It seems to do the job.

Will_D

Stitch,

If you are just storing washed yeast/trub/or sediment from secondary then just bung in the fridge and wait!

So now we have an old yeast sample in fridge of dubious vitality:

So what I do is:

1. Look at it: Any funny colours (blue green is BAD) or what ever, if so bin it!
2. Smell it: If its Ok then proceed to next step:
3. You need to make a starter. You don't NEED a stir plate.

It just helps to initially oxygenate the wort, and during growth just stirs up the yeasties

Assuming you get a good fermentation going then depending on the sizes involved either pitch or double up

HTH

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Stitch

Thats great Lads thanks. I will give that I a try. Roughly what I had in mind so am glad to see other people are doing this and it works.

Partridge9

3. You need to make a starter. You don't NEED a stir plate.

Come on Will - you dont NEED a fast car but it doesnt stop them from looking all scienc-y and cool

Look - no strings - how is the liquid turning -

Its Magic - plain and simple !

Shane Phelan

QuoteStitch,

You don't NEED a stir plate.

Yeah you dont really need one but I made one for the fun of it. I get to play with it the week before every brewday.
Making the starter is like a mini brewday for me. I add hops and sometimes even do a little 1 litre mash when I don't have DME.  :)
Brew Log

imark

I was going to underpitch because I didn't have DME to make a starter. Never thought of a micromash.
QuoteMaking the starter is like a mini brewday for me. I add hops and sometimes even do a little 1 litre mash when I don't have DME.
If I want 2L around 1.040 what am I looking at? 400g of malt? How long do you boil it for? 15min?

Will_D

I use 100 gms of DME per Litre this gives about 1040.

You could also add a pinch of nutrient or a pinch of Marmite

Make sure its sterile, cooled to the same temp as the yeast and pitch away

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

rukkus

Also if you get stuck, holland and barrett do a jar of malt extract. I've used it for a few starters and it seems to do the job fine.

Spud395

If you are culturing up from a bottle or a very small specimen of yeast a lower gravity starter will work better, as low as 1020 works well in these cases and causes less stress on the yeast.
Make up 100-200ml of this and then step it up to a bigger starter to get a pitchable amount
Non modo......sed etiam

imark

QuoteAlso if you get stuck, holland and barrett do a jar of malt extract. I've used it for a few starters and it seems to do the job fine.

I never thought of that. Great tip.