• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:53 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

WLP300 Hefeweizen Yeast

Started by Bubbles, January 02, 2013, 01:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Lads,

I'm doing a batch of hefeweizen next and my tight-wad tendencies are kicking in! I'm looking at the vial of WLP300 and thinking "I've paid over 7 euro for this ?!?!".

Help me out, how do I get the best value out of this vial? According to Jamil's podcast, the weizen yeast slurries have to be used straight away as they store badly. Anyone disagree with this and stored them in the fridge a little longer (like a couple of months) with any success?

I guess I could hang onto a couple of bottles and culture the yeast up from those...

All suggestions and comments welcome.  :)

nigel_c

Build up a starter and pitch most of it. Save a liter and use this to build up the saved bit. Let it grow again and decant back into the sanitized vile. Good way to start of yeast bank of your own.

Will_D

January 02, 2013, 04:17:03 PM #2 Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:18:49 PM by Will_D
Just revitalised a 6 month old WLP380 - no problems.

Was only a small amount in bottom of vial.

Drained off most of the clear liquor and pitched the slurry into a 250 ml starter. This took a few days ( 4 or 5 )

Then drained off liquor and pitched into 1 1L starter.

2 days later and it was ready to go to work!!

HTH

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

Thanks for the tip Will I was just going to sling my 840, I will give it another couple of days to see if anything resurrects.

Bubbles

QuoteJust revitalised a 6 month old WLP380 - no problems.

Was only a small amount in bottom of vial.

Good news, cheers. How would you recommend getting the yeast into the vial in the first place? Did you wash the yeast first?