• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:06 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Belgian Ale WLP550

Started by Cathal O D, January 02, 2013, 09:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathal O D

January 02, 2013, 09:42:18 PM Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:42:57 PM by capillod
[size=12]Hey there,

I berwed my first attampt at a belgian ale 2 and a half weeks ago using WLP550. It was slow to get going ~ 15 hours but when it did it bubbled away like mad for the 1st week. I left it sitting at 20°C for the next week while i went home for xmas and now it has stopped bubbling completley.
I cant bottle it until this day next week as im away, so was thinking of chilling it down to 10°C until i can come back.
Im hoping this will help clear it and let it cool condition.
Although im afraid that too much yeast will drop out and this will affect the bottle conditioning and carbination.
If i do go down this route should i bring it back to room temp before bottling?

Or is it best to leave it at 20°C is and bottle in a weeks time?
:-?
[/size]

Ciderhead

January 02, 2013, 09:50:30 PM #1 Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:54:24 PM by Ciderhead
15 Hours is not ages to get going  ;) did you use a starter?
What was its starting and current gravity?

Cathal O D

Strating Gravity was 1.060, i don't know the current gravity as i don't have a tap on my Fermenter.
I don't fancy opening the lid and using my syphon un-necessarly......
:-/
May have to bite the bullet though.

Ciderhead

It would be nice for you to know where you are.
longer term consider a 20Euro Refractometer off ebay, just need a drop for measuring.

Cathal O D

If i sterilised my hydromoter perfectly would that be a better option than syphoning off??
Its only a 17L batch and i dont want to waste any.

Also if i havent reached my expected final gravity is it a matter of increasing the temp a couple of degrees to finish it off?

Alot of questions i know... ::)

Ciderhead

QuoteIf i sterilised my hydromoter perfectly would that be a better option than syphoning off??
Its only a 17L batch and i dont want to waste any.

Also if i havent reached my expected final gravity is it a matter of increasing the temp a couple of degrees to finish it off?

Alot of questions i know... ::)

Many moons ago I used to drown it in star San and into fermenter, don't forget hands too!
I am betting you are between 1.01 and 1.015 ;)
I never try and stress my beer with temp movements, I suspect your beer is ready to bottle condition.
Let us know result?

Cathal O D

Ok i will give it a go. I have sterile gloves fom work which i can use as well.

Cathal O D

Just checked it and its come in at 1.010 which im happy about. What do you reckon?

Ciderhead

QuoteJust checked it and its come in at 1.010 which im happy about. What do you reckon?

Ready to bottle :) and perhaps enter into NHC competition?

Cathal O D

Sweet thanks for your help. Ill have to save you a bottle.

MAF

QuoteJust checked it and its come in at 1.010 which im happy about. What do you reckon?
Are you sure it's ready to bottle? I've had WLP550 attenuate right down to 1.005 - I suppose it depends on your grist and how (if) you mashed.

Ciderhead

January 04, 2013, 10:13:10 PM #11 Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:15:00 PM by Ciderhead
Are you sure it's ready to bottle? I've had WLP550 attenuate right down to 1.005 - I suppose it depends on your grist and how (if) you mashed.

He is going for beer not cough syrup ;)
Btw Cathal what MAF doesn't know about Saison isn't worth knowing.
I know I have one of yours in the shed and yet to try it, what gravity do yours start at MAF?

MAF

My OGs range from 1.029 up to 1.092.... I kid you not!
Which one do you have in the fridge?

Ciderhead

QuoteMy OGs range up to 1.092....
:o :o :o :o :o :o
[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Does Revenue know surely there should be a €1 tax on that after the last budget ;)

Cathal O D

I mashed for almost 2 hours. 30 min at 65C and the rest at 61C. Im hoping it turns out a bit drier. Ill check the SG againsunday and if it hasnt changed ill bottle.