• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:05 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast strains side by side

Started by Padraic, March 09, 2013, 09:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Some of you might find this interesting:

http://perfectpint.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/evaluating-yeast-character-part-ii.html?m=1

I'd like to have a tasting session some time where we use the exact same wort with about 10 different yeast strains! I think I've tried three once when partridge tried out the project!

May be a capital brewers project for the future?

Will_D

Great idea.

Brew 10 gallons of wort.

If we cann't do a 10 gallon batch in one go then we blend the two worts 50 50 at distribution time.

Plenty of cold side aereation there.

Then we each take away a gallon in a demijohn and ferment with the prescribed yeast.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

Also instead of just using 10 different yeasts:

Pick the most popular:

Say us-05, notty, us-04, lager, hefe wessen and then:

Either under-pitch one wort and over-pitch other

Or

Ferment at two distinctly different tempeartures.

Cathal O D

I would be up for trying that. Its something i always wanted to try but dont really have the space/equipment. I could definately take  part of a big brew pitch and ferment at home.
A simple recipe and one variable each time. Temp one time, yeast the next, hops the next.

Padraic

QuoteGreat idea.

Brew 10 gallons of wort.

If we cann't do a 10 gallon batch in one go then we blend the two worts 50 50 at distribution time.

Plenty of cold side aereation there.

Then we each take away a gallon in a demijohn and ferment with the prescribed yeast.

Why only 10 Gallons? :)

I wonder could we get enough yeast strains to make this work?

What's the best recipe to try this on? Or would it be good to use two different recipes and do the experiment twice?

Once with a standard pale ale recipe and once with a stout or something like that?

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

Why only 10 Gallons? :)

Coz the original poster mentioned 10 yeasts and we need to brew in one day 10 wort samples. 10 X 1 gallons sounds achievable, In TOG we could manage 15 x 1 gallons at most

The wort has to be identical! ( not just brewed to a recipe )