• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 04:06:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast starters and stepping up my vial

Started by hurleyci, March 26, 2014, 11:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurleyci

So, I plan on brewing a LOT of IPA in the next few weeks. I plan on doing two 60 litre batches, but I have only bought one vial of WLP051, California V ale. I've never done starters before and I've just started to use beersmith. So, I've attached a screenshot of the starter advice given for a 60 litre batch. It says that I need a 6 litre starter. I've read up how to make starters, but haven't been able to find anything on starters this size.

So, my question is, do I just make 6 litres of 1.040 wort and leave the yeast in it for a few days and then pitch that? Or do I have to do something like make a 2 litre starter, leave for a few days, split in two and then make two 3 litre starters?

My plan is to save half a litre before pitching so that I can then build this up again for the second 60 litre batch.

I hope to get this started as soon as possible, so any advice is much appreciated!

Dodge

What's the best before date on the vial? Normally white labs have best before date 4 months after making vial.

On your screen shot you have package date of 22 march? This needs to be checked.

At your current selection you would need 3 vials in 6 liters if they were very fresh for 1 batch of beer according to beersmith

hurleyci

Ok, ignore the date, lets just say that it's in date! I haven't got it yet so I don't know, the date in the picture is the beersmith default.

Ok, so ideally I should have 3 vials. In reality, I have only 1. So am I best to go through a two or three stage starter to build up my cell count? Or dump 1 vial into 6 litres and leave it go?

Ciderhead

1 vial to 2l
Then either step it to more than 6 and use some yeast to start again in 2L or better still use washed yeast from primary after 2 weeks and that should be loads to do your second brew, try and measure amount you have to avoid over or under pitching

hurleyci

Quote from: CH on March 26, 2014, 03:32:48 PM
1 vial to 2l
Then either step it to more than 6 and use some yeast to start again in 2L or better still use washed yeast from primary after 2 weeks and that should be loads to do your second brew, try and measure amount you have to avoid over or under pitching

Great response, thanks, so if I add one vial to 2 litres, leave for 2-3 days, cold crash, decant liquid and then add about 4 litres of 1.04 wort again? How would I measure the amount of yeast I have?

Eoin

I'm not as fussy as CH about washing (he's technically certainly more correct but it's a faff to wash ) and would simply take a ladle or two of slurry from the first fermenter after emptying and transfer this to the second fermenter to kick the seond one off. I always cold crash my starters and pour off the "beer" and then just pitch the slurry.

imark

Use this yeastcalculator. It's excellent if you want to step up starters.

http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

hurleyci

Great feedback, thanks lads! Got it sussed now I reckon!