• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:34 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dried Yeast Shelf Life

Started by Ciderhead, May 10, 2014, 09:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

May 10, 2014, 09:54:59 PM Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:07:30 PM by CH
Further to a topic LE started earlier in the year on shelf life of  liquid Yeast, I am doing a couple of "lazy" beers for comps using 05 and the new BRY 97 at the moment and as I hadn't used dried yeasts bar 05 for a couple of years had to re-educate myself on what needs rehydrating and what doesn't and optimum conditions for pitching.
An interesting fact I came across from research from Fermentis is that dried yeast at room temp loses between 30 and 40% of its effectiveness v's fridge stored which loses only 4% over 12 months, so get it out from the back of the cupboard and hide behind the eggs ;)

Eoin

How long are they talking about for that amount of loss of viability?

Ciderhead

I knew there was something I forgot :)

Eoin

Wow only 4% in a year whodathunkit?

delzep

How do homebrew shops store them is important  :o

Ciderhead

Got BRY 97 going in 12 hours by rehydrating and oxygenating wort for 30 secs 1l/min.

Eoin

I think that disposable O2 setup will be my next upgrade.

Greg2013

Quote from: Tube on May 10, 2014, 10:27:28 PM
Your experience isn't typical (google)! Ali Kocho gave me the sachet and told me it lagged 2 days for him, and it did for me too. Maybe the O2 is the difference.

Ali Kocho Williams from UK ?  :o :o :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)