• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yorkshire Ale Yeast

Started by BrewBilly, August 09, 2014, 02:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewBilly

Hi All

I wanted to brew a Timonthy Taylor Landlord clone from GW's book - I would like this as close as possible so wanted to get a liquid yeast particularly a Yorkshire ale yeast, do i go for the whielabs one (wlp037-yorkshire-square-ale-yeast), or the wyeast west yorkshire 1469 (rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm)?

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

RichC

Hi Andy, afaik 1469 is the original strain used in TTL. I don't know anything about wlp037

BrewBilly

Thanks RichC

From what I have been reading the wyeast is the one to go for, the wlp037 is apparently the Sam Smith strain.

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

mcgrath

I'd love to hear how this goes. Can you post the recipe?

BrewBilly

Sure

Pale Malt 4.25kg
Black Malt 30g

Mash schedule 66C for 90 minutes

30g Golding Hops@ Start of boil
30g Styrian Goldings hops @ Start of boil
20g Styrian Goldings @ 10mins
3g Irish Moss @ 10mins

Boil time - 90mins

Total liquer 32.6l
Mash liquer 10.7l

Batch volume is 23l

Hope to brew this soon, just waiting to see if I can get some wyeast

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

mcgrath

Thanks Andy,
I'm going to give this a go too. I've read that people take the first few litres of runnings and boil them to caramelise it a bit. Alternative seems to be to add some crystal. I might add some crystal. Will probably use US04 yeast too..

mcgrath

Hi, did you brew this?
I'm doing a similar recipe to this today:

4.5 kilos Golden Promise
112 gms. crystal 120
13 gms. patent black malt, finely crushed.

Mash at 150 deg. for 90 mins.

Sparge to extract 5 galls. @1035

Boil for 60mins. adding hops at;
35 gms fuggles for 60mins.
50 gms. styrians for 60 mins.
10 gms. each styrian and worcester goldings for 15 mins.+ protafloc tab.
Ferment with Fermentis US-04

Bubbles

Grain bill looks great with the golden Promise, but I'd be inclined to leave out the Crystal. A pinch of roasted malt is good for color correction in a TTL clone though, as it is quite a dark beer.

I did my Landlord clone with WLP002 - not quite right, but the best strain available to me at the time. Level of attenuation wasn't high enough, so could have used a small addition of simple sugar. Not a fan of S-04 and haven't used it in a long time, so I'm not sure how that will affect your flavour.

mcgrath

Quote from: Bubbles on October 01, 2014, 01:17:37 PM
Grain bill looks great with the golden Promise,

golden promise/actually using mci ale malt.  just copy and pasted for handiness  ;)

I like crystal so dont mind.

I wanted to use an english ale yeast and I havent had a use for the us04 I've had for ages so thought I'd use it..

Wort does look quite dark at the mo. We'll see how it pans out..

Bubbles

Nice one. TTL is probably my favourite example of a style which I still haven't brewer a satisfactory example of. Plenty of nice beers, but just not as good as a commercial example. I think the yeast strain is key.

BrewBilly

I havent got round to brewing this yet, i am waiting for the local hbs to order wyeast - west yorkshire ale yeast. I have done a recent brew with s04 and I have to say that although it gave a nice compact trub after fermentation the rest of the fv was a mess, when Ive used S05 its a lot cleaner.

Still planning the TTL clone though
Addicted Amateur

mcgrath

Mine should be ready now. Might bang it in the fridge..

mcgrath

Quote from: Bubbles on October 01, 2014, 01:17:37 PM
Not a fan of S-04 and haven't used it in a long time, so I'm not sure how that will affect your flavour.
Wish I'd listened, I thought I had picked up an infection as there is a weird dominant taste from the batch. I've just parked it for a while. Waiting for inspiration. I tasted a homebrew at the weekend that had the same taste. Both used the same S04 yeast. Incidentally, I tasted guinness dublin porter yesterday and I thought it had a very similar taste. I wonder if it uses a similar yeast.

Bubbles

Sorry to hear that lad. Never liked it, makes every batch taste like homebrew. Yeasty and harsh. I've nothing good to say about it apart from the fact that it floccs like a stone. Though some long term ageing does help the flavour a lot.