• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2024, 03:57:09 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Belfast Water - mineral content

Started by Quiet_Man, August 24, 2013, 11:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiet_Man

Any of you guys been able to track down an analysis of Belfast water quality, i.e. mineral content (calcium, sodium, magnesium, bicarbonate, sulphates, etc)? Seems most reports focus on pathogens and viruses.

sub82

No - I've been looking for the same. NI water appear to offer an analytical service, might be worth asking them?

BrewBilly

There is a guy I know that has the Belfast water analysis, I will ask him if he would be happy to share it. I'll keep you posted

Cheers
BrewBilly - aka Andy

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

matthewdick23

ive a report. i can give u an email address of who to contact, or can email u the report. dont want to post it here cos it has my address on it

matthewdick23

dont know if this makes sense- i didnt ustand any of it!

was v surprised to hear bout the calcium, though.  ive never thought my water was hard- v little limescale on my kettle etc

sub82

Hi Matthew - can you send me the email address of your contact. Would they have a report for Banbridge?

matthewdick23

"Gee, Andrew" <Andrew.Gee@niwater.com>

thats who replied to my initital request.

Quiet_Man

Great! Many thanks Matthew! I'll have a read and try to make sense of it. Guess some of the books (Palmer or Briggs) will help and quote hardness figures for other beer producing regions for comparison?

Andy

sub82

Thanks for the email - just contacted him!

matthewdick23

yeah shane thats wot i thought- emailed him again asking for those specifics u mentioned years ago but no response

Quiet_Man

I contacted NI Water who were quite helpful. The reply was narrowed down to the BT6 area, which is sourced from Silent Valley (SV), Lough Neagh (LN), or a blend of both! Some of the mineral analysis is performed at source, so not knowing what is coming out the tap at any one time is subject to some variation. These are typical values recorded over the last 12 months........

Water Hardness as Calcium Carbonate: 120 mg/L (moderately hard)

Calcium + Magnesium: 49 mg/L (mostly Calcium ?48mg/ml? by calculation?)
Sulphate: 12 mg/L (SV) - 63 mg/L (LN)
Sodium: 13 mg/L
Chloride: 10 mg/L (SV) - 22 mg/L (LN)
Bicarbonate: 25 mg/L (SV) - 100 mg/L (LN)

I have put the figures into Palmer's table to compare with other brewing centres.

spacebandit

If you send an email to waterline asking for the analysis for your postcode, they will treat it as a freedom of information request and gou should get the answers you are looking for. I have done this twice now for where I live...

Will_D

OMG: You really do live in a progressive part of the world :)

We also have a FOI Act - currently being used by various newspapers re. TDs expenses.

Would it work for water?

Hmm methinks someone down here with more time to spare could ride this thread!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

irish_goat

Quote from: spacebandit on September 24, 2013, 01:46:44 PM
If you send an email to waterline asking for the analysis for your postcode, they will treat it as a freedom of information request and gou should get the answers you are looking for. I have done this twice now for where I live...

Not this crowd? http://www.waterline.co.uk/

Ciaran

Some extra info in addition to the online tools report for the BT8 area
(might save someone else the hassle)

Based on 2014 results, the ZS0501 Drumaroad Lisburn supply zone covering the above area had the following average results:
Magnesium level of 0.07 mg/l.
Permanent Calcium level of: 8.25 mg/l
Temporary (CaCO3) Calcium level of: 21mg/l
Hydrogen Carbonate level of: 6.00 mg/l
Following these results, I can also confirm the water in this area would be classified as soft water.